Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Double-Checking  (Read 3228 times)

June 30, 2016, 07:14:12 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Double-Checking
« on: June 30, 2016, 07:14:12 pm »
I got a set of new tires on my '02 Jetta TDI wagon today.  I do all my own mechanical work on my own cars but had the Discount Tire do the swap.  When I got home, I popped off the center caps, loosened each bolt in turn, and torqued back to spec in the proper star pattern. 

Does anyone else have trouble just blindly assuming that Joe Shmoe mechanic did it right?

I was pleased to find that they were in fact torqued to spec.  I also feel more at ease knowing that I double-checked their work. 

Reply #1June 30, 2016, 07:21:21 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: Double-Checking
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 07:21:21 pm »
I tend to double check like that if I have someone do the work. Mainly because when I do not check it has always came back to bite me that I should have.

Reply #2July 01, 2016, 12:55:51 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Double-Checking
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 12:55:51 am »
I find that the tire places in town tend to do the final torque with a proper torque wrench.  They have less liability for ruining those expensive rims that way.  And with most waiting areas having a viewing window to the work area they can't be sure Joe Owner is watching them like a hawk to be sure they don't use that air wrench for all the work they do.