Author Topic: AAZ Vanagon losing oil  (Read 13202 times)

Reply #45May 18, 2017, 12:37:48 am

RockOcean

• Junior

Re: AAZ Vanagon losing oil
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2017, 12:37:48 am »
Thanks Jim!

The machine shop called today and said the head does not need to be resurfaced and asked if I was ok with the cracks between the valves. I said that is normal for these heads. Upon my looking for 80.5mm piston rings, I came across a set of Kolbenschmidt 2nd over sized pistons with rings. So if indeed I do need to bore once again I will use those. Anyone know what rings come on those?

Also Andrew, thanks for all your info! I don't know if you remember "Jarad" on the Samba forums from years ago? He is the previous owner of my van. It was pretty cool to go thru posts that he has made about my van four year before I purchased it. You helped him out a lot as well :~ )

Reply #46May 18, 2017, 12:42:13 am

RockOcean

• Junior

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2017, 12:42:13 am »
I also sent out the injectors to be tested, and the turbo as well to the same place. It is just 100 miles away. Bec Pacific in Bakerfeild, CA.

Reply #47May 18, 2017, 05:56:02 pm

RockOcean

• Junior

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2017, 05:56:02 pm »
Got the measurements back from the machine shop:

<<Block bore

Cylinder 1 .004 wear
Cylinder 2 .004 wear
Cylinder 3 .006 wear
Cylinder 4 .022 wear

Parts needed

Pistons/Rings @ 1mm oversized
Wristpin bushings
Rod bearings @ .25MM
Main bearings @ .25MM
Oil pump drive shaft bearing x2
Gasket Set
Oil pump??

Parts for the head

8 Valve guides
4 intake valves
4 exhaust valves
8 lifters>>

They said I will have to put a a sleeve in cylinder #4 in order for 80.5 mm pistons to work. Please note that the pistons in there now are oversized at 79.98mm. They also need to grind the crank for .25mm over sized bearings. Along with the parts for the head, the $500 KS Pistons, all the other parts from my brother, and the possibility of having to rebuild the turbo as well  I think im gonna just buy a whole engine with everything on it from Quality German Auto Parts which is an hour and a half away. What do you all think?

Reply #48May 18, 2017, 08:23:36 pm

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2017, 08:23:36 pm »
I think im gonna just buy a whole engine with everything on it from Quality German Auto Parts which is an hour and a half away. What do you all think?

I'd certainly consider it.
You have received many miles out of this engine so take what I'm about to say as an outside observer looking in. First, I personally don't think a K&N filter is your best choice if very fine dust is something you want to keep out of your engine. There's a reason they breathe better - they aren't as tight.
When I cooked my engine (no EGT sensor) it was #4 piston that melted. I think #4 somehow works harder than the rest and may even receive more than a fair share of air due to something going on inside the intake manifold (I had the same type you do).
I don't understand the voodoo of #4 but I think it's more than coincidence that it was the first to melt. Somehow it seems that last cylinder works harder or is mistreated/overheated more than the other three. Possibly some of the folks with more experience can chime in and are more than welcome to tell me I'm nuts.

I still think there are better air filters than K&N and from the bits of info in your post, I think it let in some superfine dust along your many miles.
Jim

Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #49May 19, 2017, 03:03:47 am

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2017, 03:03:47 am »
I think it would be a mistake NOT to go see the Kraut (forgot his name....I've talked to him on the phone) at Quality. Right now, he seems to have quite a few of that particular engine on hand. Actually, the most I have ever seen him have.

When you go there.....keep a look out for cans of ether on the shelves, etc. I have always "wondered" about his "cold start" videos that he puts out. Maybe I am too skeptical....but, it always seemed his "unknown" engines tended to start up too easily.

I considered buying from him in the past. But, my $400 delivery fee was always the deal breaker. YOU are not faced with that dilemma. Please let us know your view of what you see at his facility. Please report on how your deal went and how it runs (if you decide to take the plunge).

Good luck on the deal. P.S.....I wouldn't call ahead of time....I would want to ensure that I really did see a cold start!
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #50May 19, 2017, 03:17:44 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2017, 03:17:44 am »
A diesel would have to be pretty trashed to have a poor cold start indoors in California.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #51May 19, 2017, 08:48:59 am

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2017, 08:48:59 am »
A diesel would have to be pretty trashed to have a poor cold start indoors in California.
Mine starts instantly (faster than a gasser) after a short GP cycle - San Diego. Still no harm in looking for a few either cans.
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #52May 19, 2017, 12:06:14 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2017, 12:06:14 pm »
great time to go to a tdi
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #53May 19, 2017, 12:22:24 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2017, 12:22:24 pm »
great time to go to a tdi

X2...  AHU mTDI FTW!

Reply #54May 19, 2017, 12:26:36 pm

RockOcean

• Junior

« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2017, 12:26:36 pm »
Thanks for the heads up and concern that Thomas at Quality German Auto Parts may be putting ether into his motors to help them start up and run smooth. I do think you went a little to far telling me to look around for cans of ether. We will see what happens, I'm pretty sure there are way more good experiences with them then bad.You should knock them unless you your self has had a bad experience with them. My dealings will be well documented on here so we will see what happens.

I would love to go ahu tdi as you would see further up in this post I was suppose to be picking up a 72k ahu engine with harness, pedal assembly, and cluster for $1200. But I did not make it to Wisconsin :~ (

My plan now is to buy this complete engine put it in my van. Pick up my nice and clean wore out engine from the machine shop and then drive to Maine where I can rebuild the engine myself. Then I will sell the one that's in the van. Or maybe sell both of them and get a tdi engine.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Reply #55May 20, 2017, 12:52:37 am

RockOcean

• Junior

« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2017, 12:52:37 am »
Picked up the engine today, was a great to meet Thomas who answered every question I threw at him. Even threw in a few gaskets I needed for free. The engine has the late style pump on it with some extra wires labeled in red and green. What am I suppose to do with these? Will it effect the pump at all if not hooked up? It also does not have the cold start lever on the back bottom of the pump. Anyone know how I am suppose to hook that up on this pump?  Thanks

LateStylePump by RockOcean.com, on Flickr

Reply #56May 20, 2017, 01:10:06 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2017, 01:10:06 pm »
Hmmmmmmm... The green ones are a lift sensor for the plunger, it'll essentially throw an RPM signal. The red ones though, plus the lack of a cold start capability suggest that this pump may have had ECU timing control. Some late AAZ engines had rudimentary electronic control over timing - I have no idea if the pump will function normally without that connected to an ECU or if it will just run fully retarded all the time.

Is there a crank position sensor in the block near the oil filter?

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #57May 20, 2017, 02:06:03 pm

RockOcean

• Junior

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2017, 02:06:03 pm »
No there is not a crank position sensor.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Reply #58May 21, 2017, 10:11:09 pm

RockOcean

• Junior

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2017, 10:11:09 pm »
I read on another thread to just cut the wires going to the injection pump and it will still run at 95%. I imagine its for the fuel enrichment? If it doesn't work I will just install my old pump. I got the motor in and all set up. But when I went to put my vr6 water pump pulley on for some reason it is not clearing the crank pulley. It was really close on my other motor but it cleared just barley. I had to re-clock the turbo to get it just right for the Vanagon install. Once I did that I was excited to crank it up even tho the water pump pulley was not on, figured it would be ok to run for a minute. BUT - my oil feed line to the turbo is a different thread! So no starting the engine today. I am going to get the water pump pulley machined to fit. And then find the right connector to hook up my oil line tomorrow.

AlmostReady by RockOcean.com, on Flickr

Reply #59May 22, 2017, 09:56:15 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2017, 09:56:15 am »
why not swap to your old crank pulley?
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

S-PAutomotive.com