Engine Specific Info and Questions > mTDI Mechanical TDI Conversions

AAT/AEL mTDI pump questions

(1/2) > >>

ross1905:
Hi, I'm Ross and a new member on the forum. Have been browsing over this forum and alike for a few years now, though.
I apologize for the long post in advance! Anyway, I have a Volvo 740 with a 2.4 TD engine. (D24T IDI VW motor).
My plans are to swap this engine out with a 2.5 TDI AEL engine from an Audi A6.
Now I have built/played with diesels for years but it's always been IDI, mostly XUDs and not really any DI.
I want to mTDI this engine as the 740 has no ECU anyway and I far prefer mechanical control.
I just have a few questions on the pump build as it's 5 cylinder and I've never built an mTDI pump before. I have a fair idea on mTDI 4 cylinder pumps but this is a 5.

My idea was to use the D24T 6 cylinder pump casing and driveshaft (this is a 20mm shaft).
Strip the pump and fit the necessary internals for DI from the AEL's VP electronic pump (camplate, head, plunger etc)
Fit the roller cage and rollers from the AEL pump as I believe I need 5 rollers for DI instead of 3 rollers that's in 5 cylinder IDI.

I'm slightly stumped on how i'm going to do the dynamic timing - i.e. timing piston, springs shims etc. and what one to use?
The leverset - afaik I need specific DI levers from a standard mechanical DI pump (300tdi?) or modified levers as IDI levers don't allow enough travel on the control collar? Is this right?
Also I believe the governors on DI and IDI pumps are different too in the spring arrangement - again maybe 300tdi pump governor?
I think I'd use the governor flyweights from whatever pump the levers come from...

Obviously once the pump is largely built I think it would be best to test it and set it on a flow bench etc.
Any heads up on this would be great as there isn't much info out there that I can find on 5 cylinder pumps and a lot of this is just a rough idea based just on what I know.
Thank you!

vanbcguy:
I'd imagine you'd do well to use the governor and advance setup from a 300TDI pump along with the 5cyl parts you've mentioned. Seems like it should all work as far as my understanding of how these pumps is concerned...

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

ross1905:
Thanks, I will do a build thread on the pump build etc when I get around to doing it to keep this updated  ;D

rbremiller:
Giles Gallie from "Performance Diesel Injection" in Ontario built this one from parts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6fYi13CBlU

dobbybaier:
Hello guys, sorry for digging this out! I am Tobias, also a new member - from Germany by the way, therefore not the best im english.

I am planning a similar conversion like Ross, but the AEL engine will run in my VW Typ2 Vanagon (hopefully...).

Ross: Did you finish the project? Which pump did you use for the base / which casing did you use?

I am wondering whether it is possible to use a R-type pump (clockwise rotation) as a base when aiming to build a L-type pump (counter clockwise rotation)?

I would be glas and thankful for advise! thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version