Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Extreme white smoke on fresh frankenengine trouble-VIDEO INCLUDED  (Read 8937 times)

Reply #15April 11, 2016, 07:59:09 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Re: Extreme white smoke on fresh frankenengine trouble-VIDEO INCLUDED
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 07:59:09 am »
you haven't commented on the condition of the block and head that you used.  that seems like a lot of advance, but i guess if it works it works.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #16April 11, 2016, 09:49:22 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 09:49:22 am »
Running at 1.40 or more means you have more issues. I have less compression than your setup and run .94mm. At 1.40 the pressure will rise in the precup to the point it will fail much sooner. Fix your engine and head.

Reply #17April 12, 2016, 11:05:29 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 11:05:29 am »
Running at 1.40 or more means you have more issues. I have less compression than your setup and run .94mm. At 1.40 the pressure will rise in the precup to the point it will fail much sooner. Fix your engine and head.
Or his pump isn't actually a VW pump.  Entirely possible.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #18April 12, 2016, 03:56:04 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 03:56:04 pm »
What's the braking pressure on the injectors?
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #19April 13, 2016, 03:54:42 pm

golfmk1tdr

• Junior

• My car's forum thread
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 03:54:42 pm »
you haven't commented on the condition of the block and head that you used.  that seems like a lot of advance, but i guess if it works it works.

To be honest I wish I did more investigation on both parts, both were lifted from good runing engines, both looked fine but I did no measuring since I had no tools and no time to spare.  :(
And advance doesn't work, it was great on warm engine but on cold engine it hardly start and sound painful.  :-\

These issues should show with compression test, right?

Because I plan to test it as soon as possible, I still believe this engine should be fine internally.

What are compression numbers to be expected from healty frankenengine?

What's the braking pressure on the injectors?

I had them tested but after compression test I plan to install AAZ injectors, I can get them for cheap so it is logical next step if compr. is ok.

Is it possible that mixing TD and NA injectors would cause these issues? I believe they are all 1.6 TD injectors but it's kind of hard to tell them apart and there is tiny possibility that they got mixed up...

Or his pump isn't actually a VW pump.  Entirely possible.

This pump was running on 1.6TD great before, is it possible standing for half a year caused some issue? I never quite understood when people say it could be 180°out of sync, isn't that impossible if you measure by clock?
1.6+holset MK1 Golf TDR /TurboDieselRacing
(no GTD because GT is grand tourismo and there is nothing grand and touristic in my stripped out lowered beast)

Reply #20April 13, 2016, 07:45:14 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 07:45:14 pm »
What was it timed at on the 1.6?

Yes, an NA injector mixed in would definitely cause some weird running conditions. NA injectors pop earlier than TD ones which in turn advances the timing. That's why NA cars have less base timing. In your case though things seem to be going the other way.

Re: being 180 out... The dial indicator just tells you the height of the plunger. It doesn't know which port is going to fire next.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Bryn

Reply #21April 13, 2016, 09:15:35 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 09:15:35 pm »
A compression test will not show peak cylinder pressure, fuel is required to get that.

You should easily have over 380 psi in every hole if the engine is healthy.

Reply #22April 13, 2016, 09:48:48 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 09:48:48 pm »
being 180 out can be quickly determined by noting the keyway position in the shaft of the IP,  if proper it points to 10 oclock.  Or you can determine with a crack of the injector line at the back of the pump.  TDC should be delivering it to #1. 

Reply #23April 14, 2016, 07:46:36 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 07:46:36 am »
compression and leakdown test would really help to figure this out at this point.  also figuring out your injectors, that could definitely contribute to white white smoke and that weird idle of yours.
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #24April 14, 2016, 01:39:00 pm

mtrans

• Veteran

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 01:39:00 pm »
being 180 out can be quickly determined by noting the keyway position in the shaft of the IP,  if proper it points to 10 oclock.  Or you can determine with a crack of the injector line at the back of the pump.  TDC should be delivering it to #1. 
X2,if nobody open IP
I`ll improve my English

Reply #25April 16, 2016, 02:57:57 pm

golfmk1tdr

• Junior

• My car's forum thread
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2016, 02:57:57 pm »
UPDATE:

Tested when cyl. get fuel, it's no problem there.
Got a friendly retired mechanic to test my compression, one cly. really is bit low which causes one missing hole while cold.
But he claims it should still run fine in the summer.

He also insists that this is not the source of my problem,
saying I have either air in my IP or other problems with my IP.

So tomorrow first thing in morning I am putting it all back together and will try to flood the pump first, then if that still doesn't work I am installing my other pump.
Pulling engine apart is still last option in my list, will report end result when I have it.
Thank you all once more.
(no GTD because GT is grand tourismo and there is nothing grand and touristic in my stripped out lowered beast)

Reply #26April 18, 2016, 06:13:29 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2016, 06:13:29 pm »
You have clear fuel lines to and from the pump now right?
Even clear lines between the injectors will tell you things.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #27April 18, 2016, 10:52:18 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2016, 10:52:18 pm »
It'd be a worthwhile exercise to swap the pump no matter what, you know how to set timing already so you're 90% of the way there. If you have one pop it in there and let's see what happens!

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Bryn

Reply #28April 19, 2016, 07:35:36 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2016, 07:35:36 am »
do you remember the compression numbers?

Reply #29April 19, 2016, 06:41:35 pm

golfmk1tdr

• Junior

• My car's forum thread
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2016, 06:41:35 pm »
update  :-\
changed the pump and fuel lines (there were some bubbles on return line) no difference.

Then I realized I don't really know what the actual reading was, since the guy who tested it said ''it should still run in summer'' and that was all I wanted to hear. Measure of course was in BAR instead psi.

3x15, 1x13 bar, that is around 220 and 190 psi.  :-[ This was dry, cold engine measure so it really is a bit higher warm, but still, definitely, this engine in not healthy enough to eat 2BAR of boost. I am shocked it still started on 2,3rd crank.

Now I am cursing myself badly I didn't pressure him to repeat the test wet, with squirt of oil, so at least I would know if I have problem in the bottom or the head.

Will report here with any updates, but between school, work and zero'd bank account I am definitely giving this whole thing a rest for at least another (horrible) month.

I will be searching for cheap NA engine, then I am slapping my turbo on it and turning boost down to 1bar and IP back to stock. Frankensteining will have to wait.
But before that I will definitely be buying compression tester. I still can't believe I bough lemon engine, and all could be prevented with simple 50buck tool.

Lesson from this? Never buying engine or car without compression test in advance, never f#&%n again. ::)

Thank you all once more.