Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.6L diesel fuel cell  (Read 2799 times)

April 05, 2016, 03:17:21 pm

assforkr

1.6L diesel fuel cell
« on: April 05, 2016, 03:17:21 pm »
Swapping guts into a new shell and since both tanks are shotsky I'm hoping to utilize a round spare tire cell for diesel.
Wondering if anyone has attempted a cell like this?

Did you run supply from cell to IP without an inline pump? How did you prime the IP at startup?
Did you run the return line as well?
Was the supply 3/8th and the return 1/4"?
Advice?

Reply #1April 06, 2016, 08:21:29 pm

Rock3tman

• Junior

• Personal Text
    prev: 60typ2, 68pickup, 79rabbitD. now: 83jettaTD
Re: 1.6L diesel fuel cell
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 08:21:29 pm »
I made a tank to go into the spare tire well for auxiliary fuel purposes that could be copied for primary usage.

I mostly used as a guide a spare-tire diesel fuel tank, the ACV auxiliary tank system from the late '70s - early '80s diesel rabbit's that its modeled after as best I could.   I bought a 5mm thick aluminum cooking pot (120qt. size) on the 'net, cut down the height, made a lid and baffles and welded them in, welded a 1.25"I.D. exit port at the lower side and a vent nipple at the top with hose to existing vent hose, and then added a "Y" shaped aluminum splice piece to put into the stock hose between the new tank, the existing fuel fill pipe and the existing fuel tank to complete the modded fuel system.   The sides are about 2" higher than the spare well, so new tank holds 12.5 gallons, for a total capacity of about 33 gallons.   A similar tank from Greaseworks was $600 IIRC, but included a heating coil for veggie oil that I didn't need.

You would need to delete the joining system I made and just mimic the existing tank fill, measuring, fuel exit, fuel return, and fuel vent systems.

FYI I have a 3.67 ring and pinion, .71 5th gear, 185-65x14 tires; 47mpg@70=1400+ miles range.     The added weight of tank setup is 24lbs/109lbs heavier with full fuel.

I've heard that some people use oil drums cut down, but never seen a photo...