S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: KKK K14 attempting re-build  (Read 3741 times)

March 28, 2016, 06:20:47 am

epowell

• Junior

KKK K14 attempting re-build
« on: March 28, 2016, 06:20:47 am »
Hi Everyone,
I have a Vanagon (T3) with a 1.6JX  and the current Turbo I believe is a K24. This turbo seems in OK condition (not sure really), the shaft when accessed from the compressor side, shows almost no radial or axial play. But the real problem with this turbo is that some fool welded the downpipe to the exhaust side of the turbo and it is not impossible to remove the exhaust pipe and have a look at the turbine from the exit side. Yes I can just leave it like this, but it doesn't feel right > so I'd like to do something about it.

A few weeks ago I found and bought a used '91 JX engine and K14 turbo which supposedly needs a rebuild. This turbo's housing is in pretty good condition, but the shaft has about 1.3mm radial play and about 0.4mm axial play...  pretty oily turbine and compressor, and housing...

I am interested in trying to get this '91 K14 into good working order and then swap it into my van.

Maybe I simply need to buy a whole new (balanced) center section, and install that along with new seals and stuff?

I have been studying this thread, and it helps http://vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php/topic,13357.0.html

Otherwise I now have the unit on the bench and have the housing bolts off, and will now continue with the teardown, first attempting to separate the hot-side housing from the center section...

Any suggestions, comments, advice, warnings, opinions would be welcome - thanks!

Here are some photos:

First photos are of the K24 (BEFORE CLEANING) which is on my van (turbine housing welded to downpipe):

Next photos are of the K14 whole, and start of teardown:

Thanks!
Edward

Fixmyvw.com