Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Shop thinks my stuts are too long, inner cv's tear when the front is jacked up.  (Read 5086 times)

Reply #15March 27, 2016, 08:12:33 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

precision work?  what precision work? what is there to mark?

You're supposed to put a CV joint back exactly as it came apart, balls in the mated races, etc, etc, if it's not new and un-used.
Isn't that hard.

What is hard is believing that for fifty bucks they can use the proper metal, to the proper tolerances, and properly heat treated, with proper quality boots.
My experience has been that they do not, and they are pretty universally junk.  I've driven the boots off and had the joints start making noise with the boots still
intact inside 30K more than once.  Screw that noise, GKN or factory joints/boots for me.  Some folks get lucky and I'm happy for them but I ain't a gamblin man.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #16March 28, 2016, 07:42:23 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
oh, i only ever did 1 boot and the joint didn't come apart on me, i was able to get it off as one piece.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #17March 31, 2016, 02:31:55 am

air-cooled or diesel

the whole thing wasnt if it was easy, and yes it has its 'precision' in working on it, but the whole point is your sending it to a shop, 1/2hr for 1 joint alone is a low rate, at what about $30 or more, the thing i suggested, that my shop suggested to me, years ago with those same napa axles, was/is its worth more for that shop, a very good shop it was,, to buy a new axle and install, for 1 outer joint i was paying for 1 whole axle, just for a new boot, and more for a new outer. iirc. same axles i have going not a problem, and as long as the boots are ok the axle should last.
that $30 or more doesnt include parts, which can be like $20 just for a boot,,

Reply #18March 31, 2016, 04:32:27 am

air-cooled or diesel

if you feel you may have a problem, keep the good german axles your shop takes out, and do your own work on it, you may be out of a core, but i figure german axles are worth a core charge. (if theyre still good).

Reply #19April 25, 2016, 06:47:55 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

So what was the verdict, crazy too long struts or ***ty CV's?
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two