S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Ecodiesel 39% opacity failed emissions test  (Read 4576 times)

February 27, 2016, 01:40:12 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

Ecodiesel 39% opacity failed emissions test
« on: February 27, 2016, 01:40:12 pm »
Test limit is 20% for LMD (loaded mode diesel) which is done on a dyno. Mine was 39% at 0 rpm per the printout. I was not able to witness the test (he wouldn't let me). When questioned why it says 0 rpm he said the cigarette lighter did not provide an accurate rpm signal and bypassed the screen. I said to him it is not possible to get an rpm signal from the cig lighter on my diesel and he said his machine can. It is unknown what rpm he tested it at or whether he knows what he was doing. I am suspicious.

What does 39% opacity look like? I've driven diesels for 20 years and they all tested somewhere between 1 to 3% opacity. My Ecodiesel has the governor mod and if I floor it while in gear it can belch black smoke but driven normally there is no smoke out the tail pipe that I can see in daylight.

My question is did my car failed because of the governor mod or was it test operator error?
The same car with gov mod passed emissions 2 years ago (I could not find the test report to see what the numbers were). Engine runs good and starts at 10 F w/o needing block heater.

I get one free retest and have to pay for additional tests. Should I get a retest at a different test station or should I undo the governor mod before the retest?
[/size]
[/size]Anyone else with the governor mod failed opacity emission?

Reply #1February 28, 2016, 03:41:47 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: Ecodiesel 39% opacity failed emissions test
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 03:41:47 pm »
Turn down the fuel screw some and retest. If you can make it belch smoke then it's going to fail an opacity test.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #2February 29, 2016, 07:31:47 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 07:31:47 am »
yeah it sounds like youre definitely failing, thats still shady that he wont let you watch him do it, i wouldn't go back to a place like that
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #3February 29, 2016, 10:07:56 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 10:07:56 am »
Not going back to the same station for sure. I pulled the IP and found a small leak at the main seal, that explains the small air bubble in my clear fuel lines. I have a spare 91 Eco motor with a good stock IP and will be installing it before retest of emission. It is missing the advance lever plastic bushing (disintegrated as I removed the cable set screw). Anyone know a source for the bushing or work around?

http://vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php/topic,36431.0.html

Reply #4February 29, 2016, 10:24:15 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 10:24:15 am »
take it off your leaking pump?
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #5February 29, 2016, 10:42:52 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 10:42:52 am »
The leaking pump has a different lever setup which does not have a bushing, and the part that is needed won't come out. I took out the set screw and you think it should just slide out but it doesn't. There are 2 washers in there which appears to be holding it up. It sounds strange but that is the story for now. I spent 20 minutes cleaning it with penetrating oil and a brass wire brush trying to get it off but it won't come off. I don't want to break it nor do I want to remove the lever assembly and have to deal with indexing the splines at this point. That may change depending if I can come up with a solution or not.

Reply #6February 29, 2016, 11:13:29 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 11:13:29 am »
VW still sells the clear rubber advance bushings.  Vag-cat has the part number.

Reply #7March 02, 2016, 05:48:29 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 05:48:29 pm »
Got my stock/ spare Eco pump installed and fine tuned the timing with diesel pulse adapter. No more smoke when I floor the throttle. Hope it will pass emissions (I think it will), be interesting to see what the new opacity will be. Power is down a little w/o the governor mod but not that much, still very drivable and not slow at all. I really don't like the smoke when floored, gives diesels a bad reputation plus the worry of getting a ticket for excessive smoke. I will convert the IP with the gov mod back to stock. The only time I will miss the gov mod is when I need it for tailgaters lol. With the gov mod, the car used to have very low torque engaging the clutch from a standstill into 1st gear and if I don't rev the engine enough, it'd stall. It was not possible to slowly let the clutch out in 1st w/o application of throttle w/o stalling. That problem is now gone with a stock IP.

Reply #8March 02, 2016, 09:28:56 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 09:28:56 pm »
Any measure of how different the timing is between the pulse adapter and the dial measurement method for this recent change?  I generally find it off by several mm. 

Reply #9March 03, 2016, 02:26:35 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 02:26:35 am »
Sounds like your governor mod was messing with more than just the big main spring. It shouldn't have any impact on fueling whatsoever other than raising  the cutoff point if done correctly.

Bryn

Reply #10March 03, 2016, 09:31:17 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 09:31:17 am »
Sounds like your governor mod was messing with more than just the big main spring. It shouldn't have any impact on fueling whatsoever other than raising  the cutoff point if done correctly.

Can you spot what I messed up in the governor mod? Here's the post #138 governor on left side of pic 

http://vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php/topic,24323.135.html

In post #159 of that thread I also noted the lack of torque from idle.

Reply #11March 03, 2016, 09:37:46 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 09:37:46 am »
Any measure of how different the timing is between the pulse adapter and the dial measurement method for this recent change?  I generally find it off by several mm.

I did not use the dial indicator to time it. It's too much work! I used the flywheel paint mark made the last time I timed it with the diesel pulse adapter + dial indicator. Don't remember what the dial indicator readings were.

Reply #12March 03, 2016, 11:01:48 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 11:01:48 am »
Nothing obvious I can see. The intermediate spring should still move freely though, that can definitely cause some driveability issues. It's the comments about lack of power at low RPMs that have me wondering what is going on.

Bryn

Reply #13March 10, 2016, 10:11:12 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 10:11:12 pm »
It passed with the unmolested IP! Before I went back for the re-test, I changed oil and filter (Mobil I 5W40)......can't believe how an oil change can make the engine sound so much better!

Don't know about these emission test inspector's. I told him it's a diesel and the cig lighter cannot provide a tach signal. He said he'll use a pickup on the ignition coil lol. I said only gasoline engines have ignition coils....got a blank look from him.

This is a different station with a window that I can see the shop from the waiting room and I saw him put the rear wheels on the dyno rollers. I told the foreman in the waiting room and he went out to the shop to tell the inspector before he hooked everything up. Don't the s/w on the emission computers tell them whether the car is fwd or rwd? Next year my car is 25 years old which means no more emission test thereafter yay!

Reply #14March 27, 2016, 08:18:52 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2016, 08:18:52 pm »
I saw him put the rear wheels on the dyno rollers.

Please post that on their yelp page lol.....

You a more patient man than me, I'd have left at that.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two