Author Topic: 1981 Volkswagen Caddy Aux Fan controlled by climate fan  (Read 2355 times)

February 23, 2016, 12:52:10 pm

Caddy Shack

1981 Volkswagen Caddy Aux Fan controlled by climate fan
« on: February 23, 2016, 12:52:10 pm »
Hi Guys,
I am new and need some help. I have 1981 VW Pickup and I am having a problem with the radiator fan. Just last week the climate fan is controlling the radiator aux fan. When I turn on the inside fan the aux fan goes on. I replaced the aux sensor on the radiator but no dice. I assume something with the AC controls is faulty, but I am very far from an expert. Any help would be much appreciated!  :)
Johjn

Reply #1February 23, 2016, 05:58:42 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: 1981 Volkswagen Caddy Aux Fan controlled by climate fan
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 05:58:42 pm »
Most AC vehicles engage one or more engine fans whenever the AC is on - that's what pulls air over the condenser. Is the AC switched on?

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #2February 23, 2016, 07:51:00 pm

Caddy Shack

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 07:51:00 pm »
No the unit was taken out 5 or 6 years ago. It does not madder what setting the climate fan is set to, vent or heat or AC. The inside fan switch is now also working the radiator fan. TY

Reply #3March 02, 2016, 03:32:01 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 03:32:01 am »
Might check and see if the switch, that I can't remember where or what is but is probly on the hvac unit, that activates the AC isn't malfunctioning.
As stock, it'll trigger the aux fan when the heater/ac fan is activated and the lever is in AC or defrost.

I had a failure once where when the aux fan kicked on for temp control, it activated the AC compressor, the diode in the system had failed.
I had a failure once where if the aux fan was on for temp control, and the hvac fan was on, the aux fan would stay on after the temp switch
kicked off, untill one turned the hvac fan control off.  I don't remember how, or if, I fixed that one.  Don't think I did..
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two