S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: MK1 1.6 TDR taking on mk2 GTI 16V... help me get there!  (Read 12963 times)

Reply #30May 20, 2015, 05:30:04 pm

Alcaid

• Veteran

Re: MK1 1.6 TDR taking on mk2 GTI 16V... help me get there!
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2015, 05:30:04 pm »
Also public thank you to Alcaid, he was cool and professional, hopefully I didn't annoy him too much with all my questions.

Haven't been on this forum for a while, nice to see it's up and running and good luck with tuning it. You really need a built pump now ;)
'03 VW Golf PD130 4Motion Highline
'10 VW Passat 1.6TDI Highline
'83 VW Jetta 1.6TD, 11mm pump, H-beam rods, girdle, fully reworked AAZ head +++ Going Compound ;)

Reply #31May 24, 2015, 08:03:09 am

golfmk1tdr

• Junior

• My car's forum thread
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2015, 08:03:09 am »
Finally rainless day, woke up in the morning first thing on my mind: Great I should so some quarter mile runs
So I ran google maps, searched for closest straight road.
Used some online measurning application that is used to measure parcels (I had to learn using that to measure my dad's farm for goverment)
Learned that difference between 2 intersections on that road is 390 meters, close enaugh to 402 m qmile-perfect  :D
also cops can't give me *** because ''I just drove onto the road''
Also, nice thing there was flood just under road so I could see road is nice and level  ;D
Drove the straight normally whole lenght to check for case of cops in the bushes, all clear  :P

So drive around to intersecton, wait till traffic clears, join the road, stop when I am pointed straight, floor the pedal  :P
first gear easy to desrease wheel spin, second gear still wheelspining a bit, then finally takeoff to 130 kph at the intersection :P
second run pointing other way, managing wheel spin bit better, I see 140 kph at intersection, I was a bit suprised so I tried again 2 times,
now running 140 both ways very satisfied with result I headed home.

140 is about 87 mph, I reduced it to 83 so I can be sure I am talking minimal possible number (should be more since speedo is almost spot on when GPS checking on the highway and radar speed info traps)

Car weighted 840 kg on weighing bridge last november, with me in it should be around 920 but I will make it 900 kg so I have worst case scenario (engine BHP beeing the focus here)

If I calculate with these numbers here http://www.torquestats.com/modified/index.php?pid=calculator&action=calculate_times&drive=FWD&bhp=115&weight=900&submit=Calculate
I estimate my engine to have over 115 BHP right now  ;D

Not bad for start I think, really happy with it considering that measurment is underestimated on speed and weight, also few meters short of quarter mile.
Any way I put it I should have Mk1 GTI smoking car right now, around 8 second 0-100kph (0-60mph).
Still can't help feeling car is not fast enaugh, I am considering glassfibre bonnet and widened GF arches some guy nearby is selling,
also I will make boost pin at work and GOV mod solid stainless steel shim (it's shimmed by few nuts, not enaugh I feel GOV kicking in in high rev)
Also need head studs, currently at 1.3 bar with some boost leaks, I don't think this head will survive but I have been offered new head so I am not scared but still I hope I get head studs before head lifts  :-[

Also public thank you to Alcaid, he was cool and professional, hopefully I didn't annoy him too much with all my questions.

Haven't been on this forum for a while, nice to see it's up and running and good luck with tuning it. You really need a built pump now ;)

It seems I am about to get promoted at work, if that really hapens Dieselmeken is certainly getting my mails right after  ;)

Still I believe the limit of stock 8 mm pump is higher and I will try to find if before crazy power happens  ;D

off to watch f1 monaco //
1.6+holset MK1 Golf TDR /TurboDieselRacing
(no GTD because GT is grand tourismo and there is nothing grand and touristic in my stripped out lowered beast)

Reply #32June 07, 2015, 09:55:25 am

golfmk1tdr

• Junior

• My car's forum thread
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2015, 09:55:25 am »
Last week I was instaling oil pressure sensor and I noticed my fuel pedal wire is loose on the pump, so I tightened it up and then I put a brick to pedal to see if it goes all way up on the pump. I was shocked when I see the lever on the pump has only gone slightly more than half way  :o
I was driving all this time like this, real smart me. so imidiately test drive was in order, suddelny car is smoking again and i am afraid of using full throttle  ;D I did about 145 kmh quarter mile with car slightly loaded, it was just one really so no science there but difference is noticable.
If that time is repeatable it means above 130 bhp which it just nuts  ;D
But it wont be repeatable anytime soon because driving to the meet yesterday I went crazy on motorway and at over 180 kph there was noise under bonnet, whistling and EGT alarm went off.
I believe my junkyard intercooler finally gave it's life.So I plumbed piping without any intercooler and I was shocked to see how bad the car is without intercooler, it boost fine but doesn't have any power and anytime I go near fuel pedal EGT's go into alarm zone, engine is trying to overheat on me, I swear NA engine would overtake me right  now  :-X
It sems I just can't run without intercooler on turbo of this size.
So right now I am searching what IC size is best for my turbo/engine, I am trying to do this once and do it right, especialy after seeing how much difference it makes.Deffinately air to air FMIC.
Can anyone tell me what IC size I am looking for? I have seen quick estimate of 3L/100hp, that would mean my should be around 6L is that correct? Is that maesured including cooling fines or just the air that can go in?
Also I am worried about new IC exploding, I am not sure all IC's are made to handle 30+ psi, or should they be fine?

I am working on it right now but still I would be thankful to all HW200 holset owners if they say what they are runinng/how they calcualated that.
(no GTD because GT is grand tourismo and there is nothing grand and touristic in my stripped out lowered beast)

Reply #33February 14, 2016, 09:54:35 am

golfmk1tdr

• Junior

• My car's forum thread
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2016, 09:54:35 am »
So the ball is rolling again   8)
I 've just put down payment for ARP studs  :) after I realized they also fit TDI engines (3 TDi engines running in family right now) and they are reusable that decision was easy really.
I wasn't really planing on this because being a regular student and working afternoon job supporting myself, my goal for this year has been lowered to just get the car running again on minimum boost for minimum cost and maximum reliability.

After having low oil pressure problem on my first fully build engine (probably intermediate shaft problem, internally engine looks fine despite running full trackday on 1 bar oil pressure at 4000 rpm) and blowing second engine headgasket on test run (I just put holset turbo on regular 1.6 D and hoped for the best... No can't do on ***ty stock headgasket ).
Then I took the head of first engine (td) and put it on 1.6 stock bottom end (headgasket put a crack on it's head) and then I had some fun with this combo for a while ( sub 8 second 0-100 was measured with 100 kg friend in the car, another confirmation I had around 130 hp on stock slightly modded IP)
Unfortunately that lasted only for about a month when something exploded under the bonnet at about 190 km/h while heading to a drag race. In rush to overtake some snob BMW driver who refused to let me by on motorway I let EGT's climb too high, probably destroying headgasket in the process (didn't even bother to check, don't have much time to mess around the car). After that I was pretty much done with the car for a while, I just didn't have the means to rebuild it again and I was disappointed with myself for destroying my engines so many times in such little time. It was time to rethink a bit.

I was toying with idea of 1.9 TDi that is resting in tired old audi I 've somehow ended up with after my father bought it. It's tuned to about 140 hp and it's basically mine, I also found a guy who could make it work with electronics, he would even install cruise control (which is great in Audi, I used it a lot).
Still it just didn't feel right. TDi's just don't feel good for spirited driving, I 've driven the lot of them from 2.5 I5 or v6 to stock 90 hp or 140 chiped ones... It's great engine for hauling stuff about while using very little fuel (heavy old chipped audi still managed under 5 l/100km )
But it just doesn't feel like fast engine with it's low redline and low down torque.

So I heard about some guy half an hour away from me who is hoarding and selling old VW engines. After quick phone call it was clear I had to see his shop ASAP.
Long story short, I bought from him running 1.6 eco TD, 1.9 AAZ head in perfect condition and 1.9 D inlet manifold, and he threw in another IP pump so I have extra one to play with and diesel starter motor for 02a gearbox to replace my small petrol one.

Then I ran out of time and money, until three days ago father reminded me that my winter car's registration expires in few days. I told him I will get it ready for inspection, but next day I've fallen sick (which I still am, hence time to write this  :( ) .

So I was talking to my best bud about the situation and he was like: wtf didn't you say you will build your new fancy engine by spring, why you losing time and money over winter car?
I told him that even if I had time to build it moneys just don't add up, I need gaskets and studs and I will have to weld on some extra stainless tubing on the turbo and whole bunch of stuff and that ain't cheap.
Then he said fck that I want to see this thing roll, tell me how much money do you need you will return it in summer.
Just get that thing on the road before winter ends.

So here I am now thinking about all stuff needed done to build my dream engine:
200wg holset
aaz head
ARP headstuds
1.6 td bottom end
lightened 02a flywheel (in stock that porker is heavy as F )
1.9 D manifold (long, equal lenght runners, sweet thing)
big iveco intercooler
big water radiator
1.9 TD 3 notch headgasket ( I think slight CR loss is outweighed by larger valve/piston clearances)
From this list I am only missing the studs and flywheel, but there is a lot of fabrication for the little time I have to put all this together...

GOV modded stock 9mm pump for now, I can replace that anytime with my tools anyway. Will try to put bigger plunger to one of my spare ones if I manage. It will be interesting to see how same pump (fuel) performs on better intake and bigger valves.

Also picked up some pretty wheels just before last explosion and found cheap source of semislicks, so if all goes well I should be hitting some fantastic track days in two months time...

Wheels: (my third ATS set I don't even like ATS lol they just fit the car)

Tires: (tested these on trackday, day and night difference vs. regular street tires, still cheaper than most street tires)

Manifold: (Holset will be tight fit under this but with spacer and smart fitment should be possible)

That's pretty much all I remember to say right now, feeling dizzy again so I am heading back to bed.
I realize most of this was discussed and tried before, so any comment's by more knowledgeable members are welcome...

S-PAutomotive.com