Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.6 sb td mk2 golf to 1.9 tdi  (Read 1873 times)

February 06, 2016, 12:21:44 pm

ianwynhughes93

1.6 sb td mk2 golf to 1.9 tdi
« on: February 06, 2016, 12:21:44 pm »
Hi, ive got a 1.6 sb td mk2 golf and sick of driving on main roads at stupidly high revs. Could anyone shed some light on a better gearbox which would allow me to sit at lower revs or next step will be to convert to 1.9 tdi. Could anyone shed some light on easiest tdi conversion etc? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply #1February 07, 2016, 06:57:34 pm

golfmk1tdr

• Junior

• My car's forum thread
Re: 1.6 sb td mk2 golf to 1.9 tdi
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 06:57:34 pm »
Well ctn/asd gearbox from mk3 golf is your solution, but you will have to convert to cable box/hydro clutch or buy conversion pack from a some shop (I think they sell on vwdiesel with discount, I think I remember mail video).
I have converted this gearbox to mk1, it's great but I would buy conversion pack if I lived in USA (shippment to Europe+taxes was just too much for me). Fabricating gearbox mount is a lot of work if you have no experience.
Also 02a gearbox has wider differential so you will have to use shorter axles or find some other way to widen the track.

You will not be able to run better gears in 020 (stock) gearbox so this is your only option.
Also, TDI's rev much lower than TD's, so if you were to put TDI on your gearbox that would be even worse. Only way to put in TDI would be to get it together with a 02a gearbox.
Have a look around forum and consider again if you really want to have TDI, I have one I could take for free but still I rather bought another 1.6 engine after mine blew up  ;D I think it's best diesel VW ever made.
1.6+holset MK1 Golf TDR /TurboDieselRacing
(no GTD because GT is grand tourismo and there is nothing grand and touristic in my stripped out lowered beast)

Reply #2February 10, 2016, 03:34:50 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
Re: 1.6 sb td mk2 golf to 1.9 tdi
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 03:34:50 pm »
What trany code do you have now?
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block