Model Specific Questions and Info > All Other VW Diesels

VW T3 1.6TD JX - tuning up and maintaining

(1/3) > >>

epowell:
I posted here a few months ago requesting advice on how to adjust the injection pump timing on a Vanagon 1.6 TD JX engine...    ...since then, between a couple of long trips away from my van, I managed to get a start on this work with a lot of help from the guys at The Samba, in particular Andrew Libby. The problem however, at The Samba is that few people over there have Diesels, so I have decided to document my work over here.

I am a complete newby to this kind of work, so if anyone can offer any comments or advice (even seemingly obvious stuff) I would very much appreciate it.

The initial GOALS:
- change timing belt (TB) / tensioner
- adjust valve lash
- change cam seal
- change waterpump
- adjust injection pump (IP) timing
- adjust TB tracking
- adjust aux. belts tracking
- flush, refill, bleed coolant system

The WORK:

this is my van "GEorge" :)

this is my engine

this is the wierd place for the air filter

these are the anti-vibe clips I made (super-glued and marred the threads)

epowell:
this is the TB before removal - notice how the belt is tracking to the outside.

aux. belts before removal...  they are also not tracking well - I would like to get the pulleys aligned much better.

removing crank pulley

crank pulley off

special helper making sure everything's ok :)

alternator is out, now removing brackets

waterpump exposed

waterpump is out

waterpump

vanbcguy:
Looking good! Appears someone used a bunch of RTV on the pump for some reason.... Eewwwww.....

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

epowell:

--- Quote from: vanbcguy on February 02, 2016, 02:24:40 pm ---Looking good! Appears someone used a bunch of RTV on the pump for some reason.... Eewwwww.....

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

--- End quote ---

I now have the waterpump apart - and am still undecided if I will:
1) simply put this pump back together and back in the van
2) purchase a new pump and keep the old housing which seems fine
3) purchase a new pump with new housing

the reason I consider simply putting the old pump back in is because when I removed the bolts to separate the pump from housing, those notoriously seized bolts just came off like butter. And the pump inside looks very good and new...   ...and knowing how easy it is to change a waterpump, it might make sense for now just to keep this one in there.

But if I do that I need a new gasket - O-ring - and to figure out the right kind of sealant to use.

the caveman:
Not sure whether you know or not, but the worse thing about the T3s is how to bleed the cooling system. Do lots of research before driving it after replacing the water pump etc. Libby has a good trick using some plumbing to make a filler pipe stack, works great.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version