Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1986 Golf 2-door 5sp TD +Full ALH swap $3500 CT  (Read 2918 times)

December 18, 2015, 05:25:39 pm

Turbofan

• Junior

1986 Golf 2-door 5sp TD +Full ALH swap $3500 CT
« on: December 18, 2015, 05:25:39 pm »
-2 door 1986 Golf, 5 spd
-1.6L ME Engine, with ARP Headstuds
-Modified ALH Turbo professionally modified with larger Saab 9-5 compressor/housing
-96K mi on odo.
-Comes with a set of 4x100 Audi 4000 wheels
-Driver's seat is heated (working), from '98 New Beetle
-2.25" Turbo-back exhaust
-Tachometer and Compound Boost/EGT Gauge
-TD Injection Pump, Gov. Modded
-Full ALH/ 5spd Swap included w/150k. New Timing belt, waterpump.
-Spare Westy Radiator support + NIB Grill
-All original parts removed in various endeavors included to make it stock. (Exhaust and intake manifolds, fully working NA injection pump)
-Lots of extra parts (ball joints, spare MLS HG + more)
-Relay'd headlights
-Compound Boost/ EGT Gauge
-Tach (From a Land Rover Defender 90)

Also Incuded is a full ALH swap from a '98 Non-Immobilizer Beetle
-163k on ALH Engine + Transmission
-New Conti Timing belt, water pump, rollers installed after motor was pulled
-02M Transmission + shift box and cables
-Intercooler
-Turbo (making a total of 2 good turbo's with the swap)
-Ecu +complete wiring harness
-All sensors, accelerator pedal needed to run it.
-Guarantee it's a runner. Drove the beetle 115mi home before pulling it
Interested parties please PM me, so it will send me an email in case I don't see a forum post

-$3500, Located in Westport CT
Questions? Just Ask!

I bought this car many years ago (maybe 7) off vortex. I had always wanted a diesel 2 door rabbit, but found this which in my mind was the next best thing (maybe better). The odo showed 55K (I later found out it didn't work, though I promptly fixed it). The speed shop that I bought it from was clearly not diesel savvy, and told me it didn't run, and it needed a thousand dollar injection pump. The body looked solid (and was) so I took the gamble, made an offer, and a week and a half later, I unloaded it off a car carrier outside my work. This thing even has the original owners pamphlet and maintenance booklet for the original owner from the now-defunct dealership. It even had the original sound-deadening pad under the hood! A true time capsule.
     The next day, I primed it up and found the pump head seal was leaking. It wouldn't even fire, which was odd. I removed the pump head, replaced the $3 dollar o-ring, and checked the timing only to find it was off. I re-timed it, and it fired right up. It was a really strong runner, and I drove it for several years with the smoke screw turned up a hair. It was great.
     Eventually, it happened. I wanted more power. Power! POWER! I had read up on the VNT swaps here and decided that was just what I needed. I found a used good turbo off tdi-club, built myself the necessary engine mount, and mounted up. I originally was using a standard wastegate actuator set so it wouldn't make ridiculous boost (topping out at 14psi when the actuator was all the way open). I also turned up the smoke screw more to compensate, and it worked well. Sure, it smoked when it was off boost with my foot to the floor, but it prevented tailgaters. At the same time, I also installed a proper TD intake manifold, and built a turbo-back 2.25" exhaust. I later found a proper TD injection pump, resealed the pump top which was leaking, added an AAZ camplate and did a modest Gov-mod. It was nice to have a car that wouldn't smoke like crazy anymore.
     On the highway, it will go as fast as the 5 speed tranny will let it (I did have to install a TD clutch kit since the original pressure plate couldn't hold this stallion anymore). It returned high 30's when I really flogged it, and 42 mpg with a normal spirited drive. I eventually added an MLS head gasket and ARP head studs when the original started leaking oil.
     I also relocated the battery to the spare tire well in the back in order to make room for the marginally absurd AWIC I mounted under the hood. It was set up to run only with a reservoir, but I did buy and mount a heat exchanger to properly do the job, though I have to finish plumbing it.
     The body is in very good shape, with the exception of the RR wheel arch that developed rust, and the hatch which has a dent. Additionally, one night I backed into the rf corner with my Tacoma, crinkling the fender, though I straightened it out myself. I still haven't forgiven myself for that. Really. I went out and bought a replacement headlight/radiator support (also westy front end) and a NIB westy grill (I have no idea how i found that; I remembered seeing one on a wall when I was out in CA running the Baja 1000 with some friends. Turned out they still had it at the parts store). Those pieces will obviously be included in the sale. I also have a spare head gasket, a bunch of other gaskets, injection pump gaskets, additional NIB strut inserts for the front, original working sweet-ass AM/FM radio is also included, in case you don't like my Toyota cassette player. I also have a spare tranny (5spd-now 4spd after I lost 5th one night on the highway).
     Oh yeah, in my efforts to make it more of a driver, I also installed a driver's seat out of a '98 Beetle, so you can adjust it like all the MK4 goodiness you can. So here's a funny addition; I was parting out an old Audi 200 that had heated seats. I thought to myself, "Why not?" The seats themselves weren't great, but one of the seat heaters did work, so I pulled it out of the seat, grabbed the entire wiring harness for the heater and installed it in the Beetle seat. This might be one of the only '86 Golf diesels that has a working seat heater with 6 settings of loving warmth. Great for those extra cold days. The harness will accommodate the passengers seat heater if you want to install one, and I can give you the other working switch.
     The addition of a baby to my family forces the sale. Though my wife tolerates my eclectic vintage german car collection, I don't drive this nearly enough anymore (I now drive her old 2010 Jetta Tdi). This literally sat parked for 2 months this summer. It's a great car, and it needs someone who will continue to love it.

Reply #1December 18, 2015, 05:29:45 pm

Turbofan

• Junior

Re: 1986 Golf 2-door 5sp TD +Full ALH swap $3500 CT
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 05:29:45 pm »

Sorry, I realize in hindsight that a couple of my photos look like they were taken with a potato.

Additionally, I will also include my cable - clutch setup I bought for way too much money from Germany,  but it is a nice way to finish the swap.  The engine also has the correct engine/tranny mounts to mount it into the subframe.  Buy my car today for a loved one,  and give the gift they really want, the gift of compression ignition.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 11:48:43 pm by Turbofan »

Fixmyvw.com