Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Am I okay? 1Z question  (Read 3569 times)

May 27, 2016, 08:18:46 pm

Jo3kr

• User+

Am I okay? 1Z question
« on: May 27, 2016, 08:18:46 pm »
So my 1z tdi originally started out it would go into limp mode so I installed a boost gauge and seen my boost spike to about 23 pounds then drop to 12 or so and stay there; sometimes it would do that then jump around from 18 to 12 making the turbo go in and out in and out. Almost like a sputtering.

Changed N75 valve then it would go to 19 or so then drop and hold at 15 psi.

I was still not pleased and my vacuum hoses were bad anyways so today I installed all new hosing with McMaster hoses now my boost is amazing and doesn't flutter or nothing BUT it'll hit 25psi in 3rd and any other gears I'm able to hold a steady 21-22psi.

But it almost seems like I gained little to no power. I'm worried I'm gonna blow a head gasket or turbo running these boost levels. As well as that this motor has 250k on it.

I have a GT15 turbo iirc.

Forgot to add I'm all stock except 3 inch exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply #1May 28, 2016, 04:21:37 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: Am I okay? 1Z question
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 04:21:37 pm »
Air without fuel doesn't add power on its own. Hence you aren't really seeing much in the way of a performance change.

I'm not sure what stock boost was on the 1Z but I'm pretty sure it was in the low teens. Sounds like something still isn't right or you have a tune on the ECU already. There is a short piece of hose inside the ECU itself that goes from the port on the case to the actual sensor, it is VERY common for that to split and leak. Might be with checking out, you should be able to tell if you have a tune at the same time as the chips are usually marked.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #2May 28, 2016, 06:29:48 pm

Jo3kr

• User+

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 06:29:48 pm »
Air without fuel doesn't add power on its own. Hence you aren't really seeing much in the way of a performance change.

I'm not sure what stock boost was on the 1Z but I'm pretty sure it was in the low teens. Sounds like something still isn't right or you have a tune on the ECU already. There is a short piece of hose inside the ECU itself that goes from the port on the case to the actual sensor, it is VERY common for that to split and leak. Might be with checking out, you should be able to tell if you have a tune at the same time as the chips are usually marked.

That's the funny thing car is completely stock (not for long) I think I read 15-18psi was the stock iirc

Every single hose is brand new even the ECU one

Maybe I'll just limp it around for now until I get my injectors in and tune done cause going to work shortly after posting this the car went into limp mode so it's not happy.

I also started to install a boost controller hopefully I can dial it down to 18psi and make it happy again   

Reply #3May 28, 2016, 07:25:10 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 07:25:10 pm »
Adding a boost controller is a step in the wrong direction in my opinion. You have something wrong somewhere...

It's not uncommon for the wastegate to stick - have you checked that out?

Bryn

Reply #4May 28, 2016, 07:26:46 pm

Jo3kr

• User+

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 07:26:46 pm »
Adding a boost controller is a step in the wrong direction in my opinion. You have something wrong somewhere...

It's not uncommon for the wastegate to stick - have you checked that out?

No I haven't is their a simple way to test it?

Reply #5June 04, 2016, 02:55:32 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 02:55:32 pm »
You can pop the rod off the arm on the turbo and move the arm by hand. It should have near zero resistance. You may also have oil pooled in your wastegate effecting things. If you have compressed air and a regulator you can try applying 5 or so psi to the wastegate directly and noting it's movement. I forget the exact amount of pressure the wastegate normally sees in this system. You should probably check those numbers and then test accordingly.
Tyler

Reply #6June 04, 2016, 04:04:22 pm

Jo3kr

• User+

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 04:04:22 pm »
You can pop the rod off the arm on the turbo and move the arm by hand. It should have near zero resistance. You may also have oil pooled in your wastegate effecting things. If you have compressed air and a regulator you can try applying 5 or so psi to the wastegate directly and noting it's movement. I forget the exact amount of pressure the wastegate normally sees in this system. You should probably check those numbers and then test accordingly.
Sorry forgot to update I originally did the vacuum hoses blinded from the top of the motor and obviously you can't see what your doing or where the waste gate is at. So I had the one hose on correctly and the other one was way off on some nipple on the manifold. That explained why the wastegate quit working. Now it's boosting to 19 or so then it settles around 15 no limp mode or anything

Reply #7June 05, 2016, 06:09:19 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 06:09:19 pm »
Perfect! That's exactly what it should be doing.

Bryn