S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Replacing Oil Pan  (Read 2890 times)

November 06, 2015, 10:48:22 am

ftm1776

• Junior

Replacing Oil Pan
« on: November 06, 2015, 10:48:22 am »
Can I get some suggestions on how to hold the oil pan and gasket in position when replacing it??

I don't want to cross-thread any bolts.

It would be a snap with the engine out and on a stand !!!

I will be using drive on ramps and working underneath.

1.6 NA VW diesel.

Thomas, Original and sole owner since new:
1991 Jetta NA 1.6 diesel, Engine Code ME, 5 speed, AWY transmission, Hydraulic Lifters
293,000 miles
LOOKING FOR A GOOD VW DIESEL ENGINE BUILDER ON THE WEST COAST

Reply #1November 06, 2015, 11:22:13 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: Replacing Oil Pan
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 11:22:13 am »
Put the gasket on top of the oil pan.  Put both up against the engine and while holding the pan up (pinching the gasket) wiggle the pan and gasket around relative each other and the block until a hole preferably near one corner is visible in the center of the hole.  Install a bolt finger tight in that hole.  Look at the hole in the opposite corner and do the same.  Add the rest of the bolts finger tight.  Tighten them all to spec taking great care with the ones in the aluminum seal carriers on either end of the block as those will strip easily.   

Reply #2November 26, 2015, 03:23:22 pm

ftm1776

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 03:23:22 pm »
Just a thought.............

It might help to loosely place a few wooden dowels in the thread holes (say, about 6 at various positions)  of the block to simulate studs. Then use them to position the gasket resting on the pan. Wiggling the dowels would help to center the gasket and pan. Then more of the bolts could be placed a few "easy" positions to get the process started....keeping things "loosey-goosey" until all of the bolts have been inserted. Then tighten sequentially and slowly until correct torque has been applied.
Thomas, Original and sole owner since new:
1991 Jetta NA 1.6 diesel, Engine Code ME, 5 speed, AWY transmission, Hydraulic Lifters
293,000 miles
LOOKING FOR A GOOD VW DIESEL ENGINE BUILDER ON THE WEST COAST

Reply #3December 06, 2015, 10:43:42 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 10:43:42 pm »
You might be overthinking it.  I've never found it hard to do without any additional props. 

Fixmyvw.com