S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Need Help Identifying an Engine  (Read 4844 times)

October 20, 2015, 07:52:34 pm

Derekxj

• Junior

Need Help Identifying an Engine
« on: October 20, 2015, 07:52:34 pm »
So i found this engine i want to buy for my 84 rabbit 1.6NA. Been lookiny for a turbo diesel in my price range for a while now and this is it but this guy doesnt know if its a 1.6 or a 1.9 just knows its vw doesnt know what its out of.....can someone help me identify it???? I dont recognize this part i circled at ALL.....all i kkow is the engine is clean, runs and is cheap.

Reply #1October 20, 2015, 08:57:12 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: Need Help Identifying an Engine
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 08:57:12 pm »
Looks like at least a 1.9 head as it has the centerbolt valve cover and the hard pipe coming up...anything in these years could be changed of course. Look right between the #3 and #4 on the block in front. Should be the engine code and you know what the block is. Also, you could look at the 1.6d or 1.9d cast into the back of the block to get you a general idea.

Reply #2October 20, 2015, 09:00:18 pm

Derekxj

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 09:00:18 pm »
Thanks for the input!!!! Looks like a newer 1.9 and the front mount is telling me its a TDI of sorts...correct? Perhaps a 1Z?

Reply #3October 20, 2015, 10:08:38 pm

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 10:08:38 pm »
1Z or AHU if it's from North America.
Toyota truck 4x4 with Mtdi, M-vnt gt1749va, 11mm pump, fmic, smog .216 nozzles.  Sold!
Working on 1993 4runner mtdi, gtb1756vk, 11mm pump, smog .216 nozzles, custom 1" thick adaptor plate, pd150 intake manifold.

Reply #4October 21, 2015, 12:05:36 am

Derekxj

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 12:05:36 am »
Not questioning you just trying to learn....how can you tell? If it IS one of these two, how bad would it be financially to build this for big power ( daily driver power \ fun \ reliability ) combination. Any clues as to what that thing is I circled?

Reply #5October 21, 2015, 01:04:08 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 01:04:08 am »
410 is correct.  The wiggly front of the valve cover is an easy tell that its a mk3 TDI.  The 1Z and the AHU were the only mk3 TDIs offered in North America. 

Reply #6October 21, 2015, 01:32:18 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 01:32:18 am »
Lots of fun! I have one somewhere in the 180-200 hpish range. :-D
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #7October 21, 2015, 09:46:08 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 09:46:08 am »
Good call guys, I didn't see the front of the vc.

Reply #8October 21, 2015, 10:06:49 am

Derekxj

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 10:06:49 am »
Thanks for all your knowledge guys!!!!!! Heres another photo if this helps identify it further. I assume, 400 dollars would be a good deal for this then right?  ;D ;D

So, as it stands if ( when ) i go pick this up, i'll have a 1Z - possibly an AHU from a MK3 vw. assuming that its an OBD2 engine, i would have two options.

A. Rip ALL of the wiring and crap off, get a different pump for it and run it as a MTDI.
B. Locate and source a proper ECU and wiring harness and be in literal wiring hell getting it to work in my MK1. 

How expensive are the mounting options for these? what are good transmission options to go along with this engine?

Thanks!

Reply #9October 21, 2015, 01:33:16 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 01:33:16 pm »
That is definitely a 1Z from a Passat (oil feed line for the turbo is coming from the side of the head, that was only used on the 1Z).

Yeah, easiest thing to do is to sell the injection pump and then buy a Land Rover mechanical pump.  An LT2.8 pump would work fine too. 

There isn't really much wiring to remove, there's a connector going to the IP with about 6 wires in it, there's a crank position sensor and there's a wire connected to the #3 injector, that's it.  Everything else is just the coolant temp sensors and oil pressure sensors, same as any other engine.
Bryn

Reply #10October 21, 2015, 11:08:48 pm

Derekxj

• Junior

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 11:08:48 pm »
Shucks. Bad new on the 1Z ....I think? From everything I have read the ahu is the engine of engines to build and go after when looking for big power. Darnit!!! Forged internals. Aftermarket or upgrade intakes. Cams etc etc all available for the 1Z? Why is the ahu more ideal? What SHOULD this engine be fetching $$$ wise?

Reply #11October 21, 2015, 11:23:41 pm

Derekxj

• Junior

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 11:23:41 pm »
Edit. Every picture of a 1z I can find doesn't have the higher oil fill cap on the valve covers nor have I seen any with that silver piece above the valve cover...the round one looks like its something controlled by vacuum. Perhaps related to the turbo? Both these showup on ahu engine pics but not 1z

Reply #12October 22, 2015, 03:11:01 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 03:11:01 am »
If you're planning on running it without a rebuild then you're probably fine in to the 150-175 hp range frankly. If you are going to bore it and install new pistons then you have absolutely nothing to worry about, just use AHU or even better ASV slugs.

The differences between the AHU and the 1Z are really small. Different pistons for sure, different  (but functionally identical) turbo, different stock injection pump. Early 1Z engines had a bunk ECU that was replaced with a recall, the recall included higher breaking pressure injectors (which match the AHU) and removal of the 5th injector in the exhaust. If you are going mechanical none of that matters.

NO TDI has forged pistons btw, it's very difficult to forge the combustion chamber shape.

The silver thing is the EGR valve...

AHU and 1Z are very very similar, any performance upgrades that work for an AHU work on a 1Z with the exception of ECU upgrade chips.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 03:13:12 am by vanbcguy »
Bryn

Reply #13October 22, 2015, 12:57:46 pm

Derekxj

• Junior

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 12:57:46 pm »
If you're planning on running it without a rebuild then you're probably fine in to the 150-175 hp range frankly. If you are going to bore it and install new pistons then you have absolutely nothing to worry about, just use AHU or even better ASV slugs.

The differences between the AHU and the 1Z are really small. Different pistons for sure, different  (but functionally identical) turbo, different stock injection pump. Early 1Z engines had a bunk ECU that was replaced with a recall, the recall included higher breaking pressure injectors (which match the AHU) and removal of the 5th injector in the exhaust. If you are going mechanical none of that matters.

NO TDI has forged pistons btw, it's very difficult to forge the combustion chamber shape.

The silver thing is the EGR valve...

AHU and 1Z are very very similar, any performance upgrades that work for an AHU work on a 1Z with the exception of ECU upgrade chips.

Thanks alot for the info!! So essentially. the IZ and the AHU is the same block correct?? just different internals. Both have oil squirters? When i pick this engine up, it will surely be torn down. im absolutely NOT going through all this trouble without doing a full rebuild / high power build. i would absolutely love to see ATLEAST 200 at the wheels. Not sure what it would take to achieve that though...................

Being as im going to be going mechanical im not really concerned about ECU woes or any other electrical related issues as you noted that these engines had. Im primarily concerned with making my car a complete blast to drive. I used to love getting in that thing, every single time i got in it. These days that feeling is gone especially being as im down a quart of oil basically every week. the old 1.6's rings are in bad shape. She runs and runs and runs but I think big power, torque and handling will put me right back in the excitement zone. Im after the feeling of being put back in my seat like my old mustang used to.

So lets say 1Z, I want to start with the basics of internal build options. Lets say i send the block out for an over-bore and boil. Piston options for 10-30 over? Crank options? I already found forged connecting rods.....they arent cheap but I'd still like to include them.

After this, intake options?  Doesnt look like much in the way of aftermarket. I see everyone swaps on SOME variation of an intake from a different engine. which is it?

Turbo options? I know, they are endless!!!!! I want a little bit of everything. Hard bottom end pull, with good drivability and a decent spool up on the highway at higher speeds.

Reply #14October 22, 2015, 02:19:39 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 02:19:39 pm »
OK, if you are doing a rebuild then a 1Z and AHU are essentially the same thing. You might want to read through my build thread (I know some of the pics are missing). Yep, it has oil squirters and all that good stuff. Rods start getting dicey at the power levels you are talking about too, lots of bent rod threads around on TDIclub. I used Integrated Engineering Tuscan rods for mine.

Intake wise the PD150 style intakes are good enough for just about anything. Beyond that you're in to high buck custom intakes.

Talk to Alcaid for a turbo. If I were building mine again today I'd probably go with one of his Holset turbos.
Bryn