S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 91 Eco diesel Jetta starting problems  (Read 3817 times)

October 08, 2015, 06:39:34 pm

DAKOTAKIDD

• Junior

91 Eco diesel Jetta starting problems
« on: October 08, 2015, 06:39:34 pm »
Hey guys my 91 Jetta is having starting problems if it sits longer than 3-4 days.  It won't turn over.  If I jump start it, it starts and after it had started, it starts fine with the starter!!!

I tried to start it one time with a battery pack by no joy!!!  Battery pack may have been low. 

Seems like the battery has to be fully charged to start. 

I work a lot of of town so I haven't had a chance to look at it yet but a quick glance under the hood I seen a lot of corrosion on the ground wire on the bottom of the battery tray area (at least I think it's the ground wire).   Not sure if this will cause the problem or not!

Any one have an idea of what's going on or at least somewhere to start when I get home beside removing the battery and cleaning up the corrosion?

Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my i-thingy

Reply #1October 08, 2015, 07:53:01 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
Re: 91 Eco diesel Jetta starting problems
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 07:53:01 pm »
I'd hotwire the starter with TRANNY IN NEUTRAL: 12v to switched lead... if that works, I'd explore the infernal seatbelt interlock. A google search will get you info.

With winter coming, I'd clean all battery connections and body grounds related to battery, engine and starter.

Reply #2October 08, 2015, 07:55:17 pm

DAKOTAKIDD

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 07:55:17 pm »
Thx. The seatbelt interlock has been disconnected but I can pull the door panel and and check to see if the wires came apart.  I'll try the  power to starter directly if it fails when I'm home.  Thx

Sent from my i-thingy

Reply #3October 30, 2015, 12:38:38 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 12:38:38 pm »
1 thing may be air getting into pump when car sits; in your case looks like all wires&connections need to be cleaned up, i like to use new fasteners,(washers2), get a volt meter on battery, you need at least what 12.8V @battery, when you start it, check charge voltage. stuff like 330 wet or dry sandpaper, i use a tig welding brush, brakekleen, taps/dies can clean threads, finish off with electronic cleaner, assemble. several grounds to check, from battery to body, should be 2 wires(smaller) to body, trans ground, a ground from trans/motor to body, i run extra grounds, get +/-wires from napa. battery terminal cleaner. clean up pos terminal/wire to starter. maybe run a new charging wire from alternator to starter pos or battery terminal.

Reply #4October 30, 2015, 03:30:30 pm

DAKOTAKIDD

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 03:30:30 pm »
Thx for the reply.  I doubt it's air as the starter is not even turning over. 

My suspects are the seatbelt wiring and battery terminal corrosion. 

I cleaned the terminals up good as well as the ground below the battery tray.  Engine block ground was good.  I took the door panel off and re-terminated the seat belt wiring. 

Since then there has been no problems.   Knock on wood!!   

One question though, if the wires are crimped together in the door to bypass the seatbelt, is there anywhere else wires for the seatbelt could be give a problem.  So I be crimping other wires as well?

Sent from my i-thingy

Reply #5October 30, 2015, 08:50:03 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 08:50:03 pm »
Well, the wires go into the cabin to a relay in the fusebox, but I haven't heard of problems there (that I can recall).

S-PAutomotive.com