Model Specific Questions and Info > MK3 Golf/Jetta and B3/B4 Passat

Petra Passat

(1/11) > >>

vanbcguy:
Meet my new friend Petra:

She's currently has an AAZ but an "Ecodiesel" version with a non - LDA pump....

The plan is to drop my M-TDI from Jezebel in here, but this car is so clean and original I'm having a hard time convincing myself to dig in!

The car is super clean and kid approved. I definitely notice the lack of HP compared to Jezebel though!!

vanbcguy:
So far I've:

- replaced all 4 wheel bearings - they were all toast despite the low mileage
- new strut bearings and control arm bushings
- alignment
- new hatch struts, wipers all around, new stereo

Coming up next:

- clear signals for the front
- new ABS accumulator
- new ABS wheel speed sensors on at least the right rear
- fix the left rear power window - currently has a 2x4 holding the glass up

vanbcguy:

My lineup at the moment...

vanbcguy:

+

=

vanbcguy:
Haven't updated in a while!

So the day finally came to transfer my M-TDI over to Petra... That also brought about the end of service for my Jetta. After nearly 9 years it was time to say goodbye to an old friend...

I had originally planned to put the AAZ from the Passat in to the Jetta; the amount of work plus the challenges of dealing with two incapacitated cars at once put the kibosh on that. After sitting for a couple of years the Jetta really wasn't in good shape either - I hadn't realized the trunk was leaking most of that time, the rockers were rusting pretty good, mould started taking over in the interior and the body had 350,000+ km on it. Goodbye!

I honestly wasn't too eager to tear in to Petra. She's such a clean original car I felt kind of bad unbolting things as we all know cars never quite go together exactly the way they came apart. Still the thought of another year trying to push a heavy wagon up mountain passes with 70ish HP wasn't really all that appealing. I have to say though - EVERYTHING on this car comes apart easily. Most bolts come out looking brand new. I'd attribute a lot of that to the fact she still has her belly pan - it really helps reduce the amount of crap getting in to the engine bay.

After a few days of after work labour I have a TDI in my B3:

I should be in a position to fire her up tomorrow evening. Looking forward to hearing that TDI run again...

The astute viewer might notice the oversized oil cooler - there's some posts of mine from a few years ago talking about the higher oil temperatures I had been seeing with this engine. I decided to upgrade since I had everything out and the cooling system drained already; the larger cooler is from a V6 Passat 4motion. There's just enough room to do a filter change with a good front engine mount:

Looking forward to driving this car with some actual power!

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version