Author Topic: Petra Passat  (Read 3325 times)

September 12, 2015, 03:35:18 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Petra Passat
« on: September 12, 2015, 03:35:18 am »
Meet my new friend Petra:

She's currently has an AAZ but an "Ecodiesel" version with a non - LDA pump....

The plan is to drop my M-TDI from Jezebel in here, but this car is so clean and original I'm having a hard time convincing myself to dig in!

The car is super clean and kid approved. I definitely notice the lack of HP compared to Jezebel though!!

Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #1September 29, 2015, 12:19:58 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: Petra Passat
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 12:19:58 am »
Been slowly fixing things... Replaced the hatch struts after being beaned in the head a few times. Put a new ABS warning light module in as the original had been smashed out... Put a modern (but classic looking) stereo in... Replaced the ABS accumulator..

The TEVES II ABS setup in these cars is pretty weird. It was only used from 1989 through 1994 or so - it is totally different than most other ABS systems I've seen. Unlike most other ABS systems this one doesn't piggyback on a traditional braking system - there is no vacuum booster, the ABS pump cycles on every few brake applications and charges up a nitrogen filled hydraulic accumulator which provides power brakes and actually is the only source of braking pressure for the rear brakes. I need to fix a few things to get my ABS working so I've learned a lot about this setup. It's actually pretty reliable - the accumulator needs to be replaced every 7-10 years, other than that it's just wheel speed sensors like any other setup. The control module on the Passat is under the rear seat so corrosion and water aren't much of an issue.

Heaven help you if you need a master cylinder though - it's actually the whole hydraulic control system. Good news is they seem to last forever as long as you keep the fluid fresh. Bad news is they are totally NLA so a rebuild is the only option. I yanked a whole spare setup today at the wrecker - damn thing weighs in at about 40 lbs. The pump and pressure switches are the only things that ever seem to go from what I've read so I have another set at least.

I need to replace at least one of the wheel speed sensors - I have codes for both rears that I was able to get after putting in a working light. One has a severed wire, the other is probably just filthy.

Also grabbed a passenger side mirror - my pass power mirror isn't working plus I noticed the housing has a decent crack in it. For whatever reason the wrecker didn't charge me for it, works for me! Got a rear window regulator too, opened the door to see what was up and discovered a 2x4 holding the glass up. Explains why it wouldn't work...

Probably won't do the engine swap till the spring... I'm on a road trip right now, the Eco AAZ is frigging lame compared to my TDI so I don't think it'll take too long before I start ripping things apart. Going up the Coquihala was a joke. My wife was behind me in her wagon and calling to me on the radio asking if I wanted a push, couldn't get over 60 km/h on the big climb. Still loving the car though.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 12:22:07 am by vanbcguy »
Bryn

Reply #2September 29, 2015, 02:42:01 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 02:42:01 am »
The difference between the Eco AAZ vs. your other TDI must be huge.  There's quite a bit you could do to wake up the AAZ, in fact if you swapped over intercooler, turbo and controller, bumped up the fueling, etc...  it would come close, but fuel economy would be significantly worse.  I look forward to seeing more.

Reply #3September 29, 2015, 11:55:40 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 11:55:40 am »
Yeah I've showed tremendous restraint so far and left all the pump settings alone. The injection pump has all the anti tamper caps, paint and wire intact which I think I want to leave (personally I'd pay more for a cherry engine like this than an obviously messed with one)

This one does have EGR but doesn't have the turbo lockout, not sure how that is supposed to work. I guess the EGR must only be in operation at low engine speeds or something. I have a feeling it's putting out less than 10 PSI, there's obviously not much fuel either as the car has virtually no smoke except with the pedal to the floor for several minutes at high elevation.
Bryn

Reply #4October 21, 2015, 02:00:13 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 02:00:13 pm »
Installed a nice set of e-code headlights yesterday...

Bryn

Fixmyvw.com