General Information > FAQ/Tech Tips/Please Read First

Engine rebuilding tips

(1/2) > >>

myke_w:
#3 Main Bearing Trick- thrust bearing reuse tip- BUY 2 SETS OF MAINS!

Normally, one will mic the crank, order 1 set of mains bearings in the appropriate size and slap it together, and if done properly (probably not very often) they adjust the amount of lash on the sides of #3 bearing by removing material from the almost always too thick thrust portion of the bearing.

One of the things I do when rebuilding is to buy 2 sets of main bearings and throw away the supplied collar style #3 main bearings. Or you can buy a set of Glyco mains which are just like the factory ones, if you need a set - email me at [email protected])

I then use the regular non - thrust bearing and the original detached thrust bearings on the #3 main journal.  This means that if they are not worn, lash is already adjusted for for that crank / block from the factory! You also only have to buy one set the next time...  and you get 3 more "upgrades".   :wink:

360 Degree edit: #4 Main - Improves Head / #3 Rod Oiling Circuit Performance

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I SCREWED UP MY DIRECTIONS BELOW - APPARENTLY I'M DYSLEXIC.

SORRY IF I MADE EXTRA WORK FOR ANYONE (IE. YOU HAVE TO PULL THE PAN AND SWAP #4 and #3 CAUSE I GAVE YOU ***TY DIRECTIONS.:oops: :oops: :oops: )

BTW: Doing this according to my initially crappy directions doesn't screw anything up - it basically behaves as stock (denies you the benefit of an improved circuit) to fix it, simply swap the lower halves between 3 & 4 main.

The Corrections are in bold, basically anywhere it said "#3 main", it now says edit:#4 main.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can make a 360 degree slot bearing on edit: #4 main (2 'top' halves like this ) instead of a 180 degree slot (one slot , one solid) which promotes full lubrication of  edit: #4 main 100% of the time instead of 50% of the time. IMO  edit: #4 main supplies oil pressure to not only rod #3 but also the head.

--------------------------------------
Intermediate shaft bearings-

Aside from just letting the shop deal with this part, one thing worth noting is that the German bearings almost always need sized where the federal mogul & Duro brand ones are almost always right on and need no additional modification after simply (hehe) installing.

[fspGTD edit: Title changed from "Full Rebuild tips / gotchas / FAQ / HOWTO?"]

fspGTD:
Moved to FAQ section!  Others: feel free to reply to this to add in your own engine rebuild tech tips. :)

hillfolk'r:
gotta agree,2 sets of mains,,i did same thing,,,,,,,,wanna try a new lube for your cyl bores????total seal has a dryfilm lube for installation on a rebuild,,,,dont be scared,,if its good enough for a top fueler,its good enough for me,,,it looks like pencil shavings,,grey,,good stuff, rub it on thats it,,, :wink: ,,,dont know how many times i gotta say it,,if you are reusing pistons,,never never beadblast, baking soda is ok in a pinch,or walnutshells,,glassbeads gets trapped in pores,,comes out with heat and pressure(like whenyou finally start it),use gasket remover,in a can,,or that cold carb dip,,be careful w/ that stuff,it can stain some metals,,,,,,,i dip em,,scrub a little rinse,,inspect,and repeat if neded,tilli can see the orig machine marks in the pistons,,,,,,heh,,i been sayin i got like  almost 5k in my tdi build?,,yea thats used pistons too,whew,they mic'ed up nice,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,make a priming tool also,,i can post a pic of that too if needed,,,,,,,,,just ask,i wont bite,,,, :wink:

hillfolk'r:
use a dab of valve grinding compound on a phillips screwdriver,to keep the screwdriver from slipping...........works great!!!

HarryMann:

--- Quote ---use a dab of valve grinding compound on a phillips screwdriver,to keep the screwdriver from slipping
--- End quote ---

Sounds a good tip, like a diamond driver blade?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version