S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Hard start problem  (Read 5578 times)

June 05, 2022, 06:05:30 am

swordpolo

Hard start problem
« on: June 05, 2022, 06:05:30 am »
Hello.. my car  CayB 1.6tdi polo . my problem is that although the air temperature is 25 degrees, my car starts hard at the first start.. glow plugs do not engage.. but if I unplug the fuel temperature sensor, it is activated and the car starts easily

Reply #1June 05, 2022, 10:10:23 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Hard start problem
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2022, 10:10:23 pm »
I would tend to say that you need a new temp sensor.  It is turning the plugs off when it should be turning them on. 

Wait, is that 25 C or 25 F degrees?  If 25 C then you may just need the GP to warm things up a bit, Low compression perhaps on one or two of the four cylinders? 

I would check compression and GP's for proper operation in cold and warm conditions.  But you need special tools to do that and you may not have those.  At least test to be sure the GP's all work. 

Reply #2June 06, 2022, 03:04:37 am

swordpolo

Re: Hard start problem
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 03:04:37 am »
I would tend to say that you need a new temp sensor.  It is turning the plugs off when it should be turning them on. 

Wait, is that 25 C or 25 F degrees?  If 25 C then you may just need the GP to warm things up a bit, Low compression perhaps on one or two of the four cylinders? 

I would check compression and GP's for proper operation in cold and warm conditions.  But you need special tools to do that and you may not have those.  At least test to be sure the GP's all work.

sorry 25 C .. I just bought the battery, glow plugs, fuel temperature sensor and glow plug relay.. the result did not change..
12v is coming to the glow plugs when the fuel temperature sensor is active and the heating light on the indicator is on for a long time, but when the sensor is plugged in, that is active, 12v does not come and the light on the indicator is very short..

I don't have any problems after the car starts, it works easily during the day and I don't have any performance loss or idling problems..