Author Topic: Hillbilly alignment  (Read 4392 times)

July 18, 2015, 11:10:11 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Hillbilly alignment
« on: July 18, 2015, 11:10:11 pm »
I just had to replace the boot on my passenger inner tie rod that I replaced last year. The car hasn't driven well so I measured the toe and it was off. I had replaced the driver boot not long ago. Long story short I found a way that worked for me to get both sides back in tune as they were both off.

I took a measurement from the center of the lower control arm rear bolt on my mk2 to the outside tread. The steering wheel, not the tires, has to be perfectly centered. I did it on both sides and was way off even though the toe was about right, it still pulled a little. So I figured up how much each side was off and came up that both sides should be 16-13/32" from the center of the LCA bolt to the outer tread. *your tread maybe different, but at least you have a starting number* I adjusted the tie rods until I achieved the 16-13/32" on each and measured the toe and it was about dead on. I took it for a test drive and it is steering better than it has in the last 2 years.

Make sure to not have anything on the car as the LCA moves with the body. So level ground and no blown struts or a pal leaning on the car when taking your measurement. Worked for me YRMV
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 11:11:45 pm by theman53 »

Reply #1July 19, 2015, 10:33:20 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: Hillbilly alignment
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 10:33:20 pm »
On a similar note here is a DIY Alignment thread that is absolutely fantastic:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=396113

S-PAutomotive.com