Model Specific Questions and Info > MK4 Jetta/Golf and B5.5 Passat

Glow Plugs

<< < (2/3) > >>

vanbcguy:
Worth mentioning that the GP light is only a "Ready to start" light. For instance on my car the GPs come on when you close the driver's door before you've even put the key in, stay on after the light has gone out for a while and then come on after the engine has started and stay on for several minutes. The GP light isn't on for most of that.

theman53:
with no codes it and it is operating fine, I would say you have no issue at all. If one glow plugs resistance is off a bit I get a code. The plug still works, but if the resistance is too far off from the rest it throws a code quite easily.

I should say better built engine stuff. The electronics are suspect sometimes. All forged internals and pretty much the same bosch fuel systems depending on years, I will stand by the better built statement.

Rogan:
theman and vanbc,
thanks to both of you for your responses.
I'll do some more testing/investigating..

With what I'm used to (Dodge grid heater), the light on the dash operates in conjunction with the glow plug relay circuit..  Meaning, that if the light is on, the grid heater is active..

The car still is cranks a little more than it should on even warm mornings ( 70f) first start..  Takes about 5-8 sec. of cranking to get it to fire.  The GP light on the dash illuminates exactly the same manner, whether it's 30F or 100F.

theman53:
You may have a little fuel line sucking air. On the mkiv have a recirculation thing on the fuel filter that has some orings that like to leak air but never diesel. The recirculation thing is plastic, so it can break and leak. If you just got the car then anything is suspect. The fuel lines, pump seals, return lines < the injector return lines love to leak and go undetected. Many run clear fuel lines to see if any air is present. All of these things cause a loss in pressure and longer start times on these cars.

libbydiesel:
As has been mentioned, the glow plug light is not an indication of whether or not the glow plugs are ON or more accurately, when it goes out is not an indication of when the stop being powered. 

I would check your clear supply line for air and I would install a clear return line and check it for air infiltration. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version