Author Topic: HELP 1.6 Caddy wont start  (Read 4915 times)

July 10, 2015, 08:19:37 am

humungousbacon

HELP 1.6 Caddy wont start
« on: July 10, 2015, 08:19:37 am »
Help!

First time diesel owner.
I bought an 81 1.6 diesel caddy, was smoking quite a bit. Read online it was prob the valve stem seals. Replaced those along with new ARP head studs, head gasket, ignition switch (randomly went out), and new motor mounts (thing was shaking something fierce). Timed everything correctly. Primed the IP. Tried to start wasn't getting anything out of the injector lines. Read it was possibly the fuel shutoff solenoid. Jumped it from the battery and could hear it click. Tried to start again with the jumper on, now when I turn the key nothing happens... With the key off the clock is working fine but as soon as I turn the key to ON, I can hear the relays click then everything just turns off. removed the jumper and put the cable back on the fuel solenoid like it should be and same thing... Nothing is happening. Battery fully charged. I have checked and its giving the correct voltage off the battery. I'm at my whits end. Does anybody have any suggestions? Could something have happened with the ignition switch again?

Reply #1July 10, 2015, 08:57:03 am

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
Re: HELP 1.6 Caddy wont start
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 08:57:03 am »
I'd check all the grounds: batt>chassis, engine>chassis, load reduction relay, etc.

The windshields are notorious for leaking on the fusebox, I'd check for any signs... water can even fill up inside the relays.

A Robert Bentley manual is a must.

Reply #2July 10, 2015, 10:26:27 am

humungousbacon

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 10:26:27 am »
Ive checked the grounds. tried another ignition switch. Where is the load relay?

Reply #3July 10, 2015, 10:43:21 am

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 10:43:21 am »
I no gots the Caddy or its Bentley anymore, maybe another member will post.

Reply #4July 15, 2015, 11:58:14 am

humungousbacon

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 11:58:14 am »
OK. I replaced all battery cables and terminals and now it at least turns over with the key. But still not getting fuel to the injectors. I can see the fuel coming out of the return line without air so its got to be full. I dunno if this is strange though, I tested continuity on the fuel shutoff solenoid and its always there even if the switch isn't on. I even removed the cable attached and it still had continuity.. I figured that once that switch was off it would have a complete circuit anymore.. Am I wrong? Thank you for your help in advance guys.

Reply #5July 16, 2015, 12:04:27 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 12:04:27 am »
The fuel solenoid is supposed to receive 12 vdc from the wire when the ignition switch is turned to IGN.  Does it do that much?  When it comes to testing for continuity I think it always shows a closed circuit if the switch is on or off.  Because it is basically an electromagnet when it it working.  You supply the volts and it charges up the solenoid and picks up the plunger to allow fuel into the back section of the pump to get pressurized to the injectors.  The plunger has a tiny spring inside of it and when the voltage goes off the spring pushes the plunger back done in the seat of the pump and off goes the fuel delivery.

So Testing it would show 0 ohms resistance or very low, and with the key turned you should have 12 or so volts DC at the end of the wire.

Does that align with you system? 

Reply #6July 16, 2015, 01:22:59 am

humungousbacon

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 01:22:59 am »
The wire going to the solenoid doesn't show anything. I put a jumper to the batt. from the solenoid and it opens and i was able to get fuel to the injectors but still no fire. I'm thinking its got to be something electrical at this point..

Reply #7July 18, 2015, 12:17:49 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 12:17:49 am »
If you jumpered the solenoid and got fuel to the injectors then there is no electrical problem as far as I can tell.  Compression maybe is lacking and potentially no glow juice either.  Run a jumper, or a jumper cable to the first GP on the drivers side and then a jumper to the solenoid off that.  Get in and see if it will fire up. 

Keep the jumper to the solenoid clipped to the hot line coming off the battery but remove the connection on the GP.  It should stay running. 

Once it is warmed up see if it will start on its own now.  It could be a fuse or a relay to the GP's.  But not having 12 volts to the solenoid with the key on makes me think of fuses or loose wire on the back of the ignition switch.  I had that one in my time, car would run fine until I hit a good sized bump or turned the wheel to the right hard.  That was enough to disconnect the connector at the back of the key and it would die or start to, then fire up and run.

I dropped the plastic cover underneath and was able to get a pair of needle nose pliers on the end of the connector and slide it on the tab.  I never put the underside back on,  best find it in the back before I loose it.

Reply #8July 23, 2015, 11:23:28 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 11:23:28 pm »
Read it was possibly the fuel shutoff solenoid. Jumped it from the battery and could hear it click. Tried to start again with the jumper on, now when I turn the key nothing happens... With the key off the clock is working fine but as soon as I turn the key to ON, I can hear the relays click then everything just turns off. removed the jumper and put the cable back on the fuel solenoid like it should be and same thing... Nothing is happening. Battery fully charged. I have checked and its giving the correct voltage off the battery. I'm at my whits end. Does anybody have any suggestions? Could something have happened with the ignition switch again?
I'd check all the grounds: batt>chassis, engine>chassis, load reduction relay, etc.
you need a main ground; on all the cars ive seen its from battery terminal to trans tunnel; then from batt term to chassis, 2 medium wires preferred here, or so it seems(this is for balance). then from motor to chassis or body, full size grounding wire i guess its #4 wire. sounds like you have something funny going on there, just jumping to solenoid and losing cranking doesnt sound right. solenoid is low draw, the fuse for example i believe is 5a. if solenoid clicks thats a start,
glow plugs you need to work, if you do buy glow plugs==>only buy bosch. i need glow plugs even @around 90f. crank and loosen injector lines, that is if you primed fuel pump; also prime fuel filter, when you crank loosen injector lines @injectors, and see if you have fuel coming out. if you have fuel coming out snug inj lines, they dont take too much like 18ftlbs, or just enough to seal, dont overtighten and strip, also it helps to have a flange wrench, 17mm, i prefer snap-on tool here. i have a car that needs priming; so if it loses prime i can manually prime it, minor problem as long as you know the priming will work, oh -if you dont have a 17mm flange wrench;;take it easy on inj lines, careful and make sure wrench has good bite on nuts. if you have fuel at injectors you should have smoke after a few cranks, whether it starts or not,, if you do have smoke,,swap in a new set of glow plugs, or possibly could be relay, so re-try to jump glow plugs. i dont make sparks @battery, batteries make hydrogen and a spark can make it blow, becareful when jumping or making sparks around a battery.

Fixmyvw.com