Engine Specific Info and Questions > TDI - VE Pump TDI Engines

franken mTDI pump HELP!

(1/4) > >>

vw offroader:
Hello everyone, I am new to the vw forum and am in the midst of pulling out my hair with this mTDI pump. I hope someone on here is able to help as the information I have been reading is great! Okay, so I have a 1999 ALH that the pump went bad on and decided to convert the engine over to mechanical for use in my rock crawler project. I had a diesel mechanic use a Bosch VE pump and swap out the head, Cam plate, and plunger. After putting the pump on the engine I tried to start it and the first time it ran it was running around 3500 rpms and had no throttle control. I was frustrated and let the pump / project sit for a couple months. After getting the project started again I can't get the motor to run.
     So I pulled the pump off and took it to pro-formance diesel injection service in Clearfield, PA. The guys up there are great to work with and are a certified Bosch rebuilder. The problem is they rebuilt the pump and put it on the stand for testing / tuning. The same thing happened to them. Everytime they run the pump it just takes off and has infinite running like there is no end. To the best of my knowleadge it still has no throttle control. Has anyon ever experienced this before? I am stranded at this point.

theman53:
what pump did he start with? Bosch ve...yes, was it an electronic gov. pump? was it an IDI pump? If he tried the E pump there is no real way to control the fuel pedal mechanically.

vanbcguy:
Would be really helpful to know what various pump bits have been put together. There's hundreds of variants of the Bosch VE pumps all meant for different things.

The simplest thing to do would be to get a pump that just works, like a Land Rover 300TDI one. They don't need any internal modification to run an ALH.

vw offroader:
Thanks for the responses. The original donor pump was from the 99 TDI ALH. Took the internals out of it and put it into the VW IDI pump. I believe the pump is off a 1.6. I should have wrote down the number off the pump and checked it to be exact. The ve pump does have the throttle linkage on top and has no wires. Just one to the stop solenoid. Like I said I am a newby at this. The pump is still at the rebuild shop and I am trying to get a hold of original diesel guy that I got the pump from to see where he acquired it. Is there any place on the internet that gives you the breakdown by number the original use of the VE pump?

theman53:
pretty sure the lever won't be long enough to really fuel unless you weld a piece on. Why it is revving and not coming down I have no clue

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version