Engine Specific Info and Questions > mTDI Mechanical TDI Conversions

Setting static pump timing . 300tdi rover

(1/3) > >>

Sohio:
Have installed 300tdi pump on ahu and finding it very difficult to set the static pump time.

At the moment It's blowing lots of white smoke/ vapor .
More like vapor.
No matter how close I get it.

What I'm doing.
Locking engine at tdc.
   Installing dial gauge.
Screwing adapter all the way in.
Pushing gauge into adapter
all the way in then tightening it there.
Removing tdc locks
Spinning engine back till dial stops moving.
I tried then Removing dial /zeroing out and placing back so that at this point
It's just touching the measured bits of the pump.
Also tried just doin the math and keeping gauge in place.
At which point I then spin the engine slowly back to tdc while watching the gauge.
Once it's at tdc I correct the pump timing using the pully till it's advanced 1.32 while engine is at tdc.

Still getting rough idle if any and lots of vapor / smoke.
No black smoke. Mostly vapor.
Any thoughts?
Am I doing something wrong? ??

vanbcguy:
My 300TDI pump is timed to 1.45 or so. Try advancing it some more.

Tylenol:
I have my 300tdi without the throttle position set at 1.54 and it runs very smooth with no smoke!

vanbcguy:

--- Quote from: Tylenol on June 18, 2015, 10:09:50 pm ---I have my 300tdi without the throttle position set at 1.54 and it runs very smooth with no smoke!

--- End quote ---

Tylenol: Did you happen to measure the total lift in your pump? Just curious if it's the same camplate. My total lift was 2.45mm.

I've used a timing light with a pulse adapter on mine to get my setting.  I've run it as retarded as 1.38 which was about 8 degrees BTDC if I remember correctly.  1.45-1.47 or so is where I'm at now, my final number was achieved using only the timing light.  I'm at 12 degrees BTDC with that.

I also found a Rover guide on using a dial gauge on the Rover itself a little while ago.  They use the same Bosch injectors as we do.  No surprise, the Rover book number was 1.45 for my pump version.  I think the non-EGR pumps may have had different settings though, guessing that's what you've got.

Tylenol:
I have not done any internal mods to my pump yet so I do not know the lift! It is a stock 300tdi non EGR pump. From what I found the settings were different not sure why but they are! I have ordered a pulse adapter for my timing light to actually see what my engine is running when I get it I'll give you an update on where it was running at the book set point and my break in is almost done so I might break into the pump and if I do I'll get the lift for you if I go that deep into it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version