S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: MK1 Rabbit pump leak  (Read 4065 times)

May 24, 2015, 07:32:05 pm

SR2K

MK1 Rabbit pump leak
« on: May 24, 2015, 07:32:05 pm »
Hey All,
I'm new to the forum and new to these cars. I picked up an 81 VW Rabbit Diesel this evening, and I noticed when I got home that it has a steady diesel leak. I've tracked the leak, and it seems to be coming from the top of the injector pump, where the throttle linkage attaches.

Has anyone seen this before? Any advice on where the actual leak is or what seal I need?

Thanks,
Sam

Reply #1May 24, 2015, 10:15:05 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: MK1 Rabbit pump leak
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 10:15:05 pm »
Search this site for seal kits, and providers.  What you need is probably two important items in that shaft area.  One is the bushing that the shaft rides in and the other is the O ring that seals the bottom or inside area from the bushing/shaft meeting. 

There are also videos of how to tear this pump apart but since you are new to the Diesel Experience with these lil buggers I would say watch and learn prior to taking it apart.  For the area you describe the top of the pump could come off right where it sits.  You just have to deal with the throttle lever but you are going to need to take it off to fix it anyway.

Time to buy a Bentley manual too.

Welcome by the way.  It helps us if you filled in all the particulars on the location and such in your profile.  Sometimes we end up being local to you and can bring parts or experience to you directly not often but sometimes. 

Reply #2May 24, 2015, 11:20:19 pm

SR2K

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 11:20:19 pm »
Thanks for the help, Ill start looking into the rebuild how to's.

The previous owner actually included a bunch of spare parts and things and among them was the Red Bently manual, which I've already started flipping through. Also, unrelated, it came with a 5 sped transmission for the car which I'm considering swapping in.

Reply #3May 25, 2015, 09:02:35 am

SR2K

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 09:02:35 am »
I've been doing some looking into seal kits and such, but Im not really sure what seals it is that I need, or how to replace them. Also, am I correct in assuming this is a "VE Pump"?

Reply #4May 25, 2015, 03:40:12 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 03:40:12 pm »
Also, am I correct in assuming this is a "VE Pump"?
Yes.  there are 2 kinds, turbo  and not, turbo   having the  flying saucer on the top.
there is a  further  subdivision  with  input shaft size.  all VW IDI  use the 17MM seal, where Cummins and   some other  more industrial applications have a larger 24mm?  input

Reply #5May 26, 2015, 01:56:00 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 01:56:00 am »
http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php/topic,30340.0.html  Spend some time in the General section reading the stickies. 

This one has pictures of the exploded pump and you should be able to see the shaft and other noted parts. 

Reply #6May 29, 2015, 06:30:49 pm

deepgrooves74

• Junior

• This is my build thread... Bucket.
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 06:30:49 pm »
Welcome to the forum! Also, if you want to swap in that five-speed and you have a four-speed transmission in the car you need to replace the transmission mounts for the five speed transmission mounts. Also some of the linkage needs to be replaced with five-speed linkages well.

I apologize I have not done the swap, but again with a small search you should be able to find out what needs to be swapped.

S-PAutomotive.com