Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: So the FNG Could Use a Little Help  (Read 2609 times)

June 04, 2015, 02:26:18 am

Bodaddio

So the FNG Could Use a Little Help
« on: June 04, 2015, 02:26:18 am »
Hey Guys, well this didn't take long. We have an 82 Caddy had it about a week and it is overheating. Been reading and reading and trying to get through the normal checks.
Here is my problem. I am in Australia for work until the 25th. My wife is doing all the work with me trying to talk her through it. The Bentley I ordered hasn't gotten to the house yet and my wife hasn't found a Haynes.
I have never seen this car so I don't know where everything is. She can do the work just needs a little guidance. Any pics or Web pages with pics are appreciated.
Background, running great kid going to school overheats. Pulls over and water pump belt gone. He got it replaced filled fluids and off again. Down the road overheats again. Towed it home and wife finds the fuse box and had a 25a fuse where it says rad fan. Replaced and filled back up with fluids. Started up fan works drives around a little no overheat. In driveway turns off ac and little while later overheats.
So that is where we are. Need locations and that sort of thing any help is appreciated.
Oh yes we are in Dade City, Florida just outside of Tampa.
82 Caddy with AC as far as I know stock engine.
Thanks

Reply #1June 04, 2015, 10:43:18 am

srgtlord

• Veteran

Re: So the FNG Could Use a Little Help
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 10:43:18 am »
It could be 1,000,001 things. But if the fan worksd with the A/C on I would check the wiring to the thermoswitch and possibly replace the thermoswitch itself. It will be an electrical plug that screws into the radiator.

Reply #2September 12, 2015, 01:02:43 pm

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

Re: So the FNG Could Use a Little Help
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 01:02:43 pm »
Yeah, sounds like you need to test the thermoswitch circuit like sgtlord says (hat is, assuming your radiator is not clogged; you could get/borrow an infrared thermometer to check the temp drop on the fins).  Pull the plug off and stick a paper clip between the pins; if the fan comes on, then replace the switch and get the vehicle up to temp and see if the fan comes on.