S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Hesitation-smoke-air in fuel-need help diagnosing problem  (Read 4851 times)

April 30, 2015, 02:29:02 pm

floyders

Hesitation-smoke-air in fuel-need help diagnosing problem
« on: April 30, 2015, 02:29:02 pm »
Hello All!,

I have a problem that started a couple weeks ago with my 2003 wagon. Basically, when I get the car started it idles fine but as I give it fuel, it hesitates and hiccups along the power curve. At first I thought it was a dirty fuel filter so I changed that. Upon changing I noticed air in the fuel line so I tried to fix that by boring out the sending unit. I thought it had fixed the air problem but it did not. Currently, when I get it started - usually after quite a bit of cranking to work out air - the car idles normally. Once I apply fuel via the pedal and revs rpms, there is a lot of hiccuping and whiteish smoke coming out the back. We can't drive it as is and we need to drive across country in a couple weeks. There is still air in the fuel line - I know this is not normal - but I drove it many years with small bubbles in the fuel line just fine. I pulled the codes and here is what I got:

P0381
P0672
P0673
P0128
P0299

Most of these are associated with glow plugs which I do need to change.

Another side note of perhaps no relevance.. but shortly before we were having problems, we noticed a nasty smell coming in through the vents---though it was a dead mouse -- never found anything ; checked and cleaned air filter. smell is gone now.

Any thoughts??? Thanks is advance for any assistance.

Cheers,

George

Fixmyvw.com