Author Topic: OK, here we go. I have two 97 passat. one with unknown mileage, one has 477k  (Read 3534 times)

April 30, 2015, 02:19:03 am

billybobf

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    89 golf 1.8 digi, 1.6 na in pieces in the shop
OK, so the one with unknown mileage runs pretty good and is a pretty clean car, dash says 380ish but I know it has an engine swap on it. greasewerks in corvallis oregon may have installed the engine in a shell that they pulled the motor out of for a swap, the guy I bought it from had a tboned 97 passat that the motor came out of. Like I said this one runs ok. gets better then 40 mpg, not super fast or powerfull. has a CEL, codes are 1466 1467 from an obd2 reader from inova, 3100a maybe?
wouldnt mind a little more power out of it. but its not bad, needs helps in the suspension/alingment area to be a DD.

Other car has a sunroof and a sticker saying it got a new dash at 90k miles. but cant they turn the mileage up to match with a new dash? so it says 377 on the dash, whats it really got on it? Anyways, doesnt like to go above 4k rpm and last time it lost all power and shot a cloud of black smoke. sounded like either massive boost leak or compressor tried to seize? wouldnt run right for a second, turned off didnt want to start up right. after a second it went back to normal except same CEL, havent checked codes on that one. BOTH cars have EGR delete?

both cars have DPF systems it looks like with a sensor on both sides of it.

where to start and what to do? I have an HF compression tester. wouldnt be able to hear a knock if it had one (both tone challenged and the are supposed to knock)

they are powerful enough, but wouldnt mind a little more when needed. the second one smokes a little more and doesnt have as much power.
would love to be reliable more then anything, really want economy for the 15 miles one way to work on flat ground.

I have a short snout, 20mm x 11mm iveco/fiat pump, and a vw turbo lda from PROTHE. I dont have the governor parts per say. have a good spare IDI N/A pump I guess I could tear into.

rebuilt or replace turbos? I can do anything with good directions.

I paid 2200 for the pair of the cars.
I have a suzuki samurai that needs a diesel motor, and a 1.6 NA sitting out front for it. wouldnt mind a turbo on it. would the k03 be a good turbo for a stock 1.6na? I can tig weld and machine anything I want. I also want to run WMO as I have access to a lot of high quality used amsoil.

thats most of it for now. I am tired, its late, I need to shower and I have to work in the morning.
not that it matters, I get discounts from weddle (they now make 020 parts)
I have access to at least 100 gallons of WMO.

I also want an auto tdi wagon for the wife. found a few locally. what sucks is the whole alh ahu deal. I would love to be able to rebuild both my 1Z engines and keep one as a spare for say the samurai, the nicer passat or the wife's wagon. but from what I hear a 1Z is a hard swap into a wagon that came with an auto. point me otherwise if there is something that is auto, wagon, and 1z compatible.

Reply #1April 30, 2015, 11:28:36 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
1Z and AHU are basically identical engines. The AHU is a bit better built though.

Start with maintenance including checking the timing with vagcom. You may as well buy one because it's very handy to have. It's probably vacuum issues or siezed waste gates. The vacuum hose in the ECU is known to fail.
Tyler

Reply #2April 30, 2015, 12:09:11 pm

billybobf

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    89 golf 1.8 digi, 1.6 na in pieces in the shop
Yeah will probably need vagcom.
It was weird, was good, then bad, then back to good.
Really want an auto wagon too for my wife but would like to be able to use 1z as spare if needed.