Model Specific Questions and Info > MK3 Golf/Jetta and B3/B4 Passat

1993 1.9 Passat head gasket change

(1/2) > >>

Skippy594:
Hey guys, I used the search site using the search bar for a step by step walk through for a head gasket change on my 1.9 litre AAZ engine but I cant find one. Can someone please point one out or, tell me step by step how to do it? Pics would be fantastic too. I have a repair manual but it wants me to take the cam shaft out, intake and exhaust manifolds off and all that. Theres got to be an easier way, right?

Thanks in advanced,

Rick

vanbcguy:
You CAN leave the manifolds on the head but it makes it heavy and hard to lift. You CAN leave the cam shaft in but then you can't put down the head without risk of damage to the valves.

The book you've got sounds like it has the right procedure, I assume it tells you that you need to replace the head bolts and has the proper torque sequence and tightening order.

jhax:
http://vwts.ru/page02.html

ORCoaster:
Skippy, the removal of the head is sooo much easier if you have all the extra parts off of it.  It is a bit more work but if you don't have a lift wrestling the head on with all the extra weight but more importantly the stuff has to align without moving the head gasket about.  Sure you can tack it down with Holomar or something like it but there is just no better way than to align it on a couple cut off bolts and just slide it down in the right place first time. 

I work up from under the back side to get the nuts on the exhaust tight and then the hex or Torx head bolts on the intake tight.  I have some stuff in the way but I don't have trouble with a 3/8 in ratchet and a couple short and medium sized extensions. 

the caveman:
As others have said ,you can do it either with the turbo etc installed or not, but if it's just the head gasket to be changed, leave all those parts on. The head can then be removed by one person, but you will need someone strong enough to help you place the head back on so that you don't damage the new one. It has to be carefully dropped straight down onto the block so as not to scratch ot

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version