Engine Specific Info and Questions > mTDI Mechanical TDI Conversions

Mtdi mk2 golf confusion!

(1/2) > >>

SouthCoveVW:
Hey everyone!

So i went to look at mk2 golf yesterday for sale mainly for parts. The main thing that got my attention was it was said to have a giles super pump installed! But what amazed me was that the guy said it also has a 1z tdi head installed on the aaz block , it definitely was a tdi head but was unsure of block ? What im not sure is if it is actually a super pump as it did not work all that strong it did not work any better then aaz with 1.6 boost pin and slightly higher boost pressure?

So my main concern is how i could prove if it is a super pump? And i guess possibly if it could just be an aaz pump not modded for tdi fueling? The car has been driven daily up until a few weeks ago because he suspects head gasket failure? And is his reasoning selling!

Thanks in advance for any help someone maybe able to lend

libbydiesel:
As far as I know Giles does not make 'Super Pumps' for the mTDI application.  I could be mistaken though.  The pump fitted to the engine may be a Giles mTDI pump or it may be an AAZ 'Super Pump'.  A 1Z can be fitted to an AAZ block IF the pistons are swapped to TDI pistons.  With IDI pistons and a TDI head, there would be no combustion chamber.  I believe the compression ratio would be a gazillion to 1 with cylinder pressures bending the rods or blowing the head gasket.

The main difference between an AAZ superpump and an mTDI pump would be the 9mm plunger and the timing advance.  If the 'short cap' is fitted to the outside of the dynamic advance plunger then it is most likely an AAZ pump.  You could also pull the large triangular distributor head plug and easily measure the plunger with calipers.   

SouthCoveVW:
Thanks for the info!!

So am i correct in sayin that if it is say a superpump built for a regular aaz that you may not see the power gains running it to tdi head and injectors?

Im interested in pump for another project im working which is why im a little nervous on it

Thnks again 

libbydiesel:
An AAZ superpump would make a poor mTDI pump.

vanbcguy:
Giles definitely does do M-TDI pumps for what it's worth.  I contacted him back when I was starting my build.  He was more than happy to make me a pump set up however I liked, but his cost was too high compared to just using a Rover pump.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version