Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 45386 times)

Reply #90February 22, 2020, 04:12:11 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2020, 04:12:11 pm »
So far today I've worked on the aforementioned '02 Jetta.  I pressure washed the engine.  It smells like diesel but I do not see any leaks.  I replaced the jumpers between the injectors with tygon so I can get a better visual.  I fixed the center armrest (was quite floppy), fixed the driver's side door switch, used VAG-COM to check codes as both the check engine light and the airbag light were on.  I saved the file and cleared the codes.  The codes did not return.  I fixed the front bumper where it had been assembled to the body incorrectly - looks better now.  The DRL's operate correctly and high beams work correctly but when switched to low beam, the lights go out.  Bulbs are fine or the DRL's wouldn't work.  I swapped headlight switches with my '02 wagon.  Still no low beams.  Ordered a new turn signal/ cruise control switch.  Did a decent test drive.  It is cold and raining and the car is not under cover so I think that's all for today.  Before turning the keys over to my daughter, I would like the low beams to work properly and I would like to perform an automatic trans fluid change and a differential fluid change.  I'd also like to get a couple of dents pulled out but I don't want to do that in the rain.  I might get to the diff fluid today if I can muster the courage but I will need to wait on the trans filter to do the ATF service.   

Reply #91February 22, 2020, 07:34:01 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2020, 07:34:01 pm »
I got the diff fluid changed as well.  I feel a good sense of accomplishment today.  The car runs great.  If it were any nicer I'd feel really bad about parting it out in the future.

Reply #92March 05, 2020, 10:44:10 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2020, 10:44:10 pm »
Today I went out to correct my shifter linkage and found that the turn signals also didn't work. 

The little snap ring on the gear shift linkage was not snapped down tight and the spring that keeps you from going into reverse instead of first as a wee bit weak.  Always found myself going backwards at the lights and stop signs. 

I had a heater core problem a while back and that moisture in the cab found its way on the contacts of several relays on the fuse box.  Not having turn signals or hazard lights had me going to the fuse box for poor contacts for fuses and relays.  Cleaned up several.  I need to keep that moisture problem in mind as the climate here is very wet and the floor board mat gets emptied every so often from water off the shoes.

Also started the spring checks of fluid levels and found low oil and Antifreeze.  Going to have to watch that too. 

Reply #93March 08, 2020, 03:01:25 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2020, 03:01:25 am »
I fixed the automatic function of the interior lights on my 'new' '02 jetta.  It was a poor connection in the wire coming from the CCM to the interior lights.  The connector was at the bottom of the A-pillar on the driver's side. 

I fixed the trunk release mechanism so it works with the key fob. 

I replaced the turn signal switch in order to fix the fact that the low beam headlights did not work.

Reply #94March 08, 2020, 04:23:22 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2020, 04:23:22 pm »
Yesterday I received a console with two gauges and a clock for the LX pick up.  I will paint it black as it is red now and see about swapping some of the current gauges I have going to new positions.  Clock is long and needs to stay in the console but I really want to have the boost and EGT up on the dash under the radio.  I took out the cubby hole box and have a flat panel in there with two gauges and a power point take off.

I may need to fabricate a second place for three gauges.  I really don't like the idiot lights and lines with no reference.  Give me real numbers so I can tell hot, how much pressure and so on.

Reply #95March 15, 2020, 11:56:30 am

srgtlord

• Veteran

« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2020, 11:56:30 am »
Replacing the heater core today on my 85 mk2 after it decided to blow up ;)

Reply #96March 15, 2020, 02:28:35 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2020, 02:28:35 pm »
BLOW UP?  or blow out?  Doesn't seem like it would have a lot of pressure building up to blow up.  Matter of opinion on the destruction.  I have found that after the core went out on mine a bit ago I have poor connections on the relays and fuses.  So watch for corrosion building from having the floorboard soaking wet. 

I recently received a console for the VW Caddy that is actually made for it so it anchors to the metal part of the dash.  I moved my gauges around some and now have a clock that works again.  I still have the need for three other gauges I would like to run but need to figure out where they would go.  I don't really like the on the dash option and I don't know of a pod for the door pillar either. 

I also acquired newer armrests and chrome handles so I will attempt to get them in today.  Depends on the rain clouds and my ability to wire the lights on the gauges.  I spent a lot of time under sinks doing plumbing repairs yesterday and am not as nimble as I was once before in life.  Things hurt today where they didn't before.

Reply #97March 21, 2020, 02:25:09 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2020, 02:25:09 pm »
I really wish it would warm up enough for me to do some bodywork on my Rabbit.  The GTI fender flare on the rear drivers side needs to be reattached to the body.  Someone's son backed into it when he came to visit for Christmas.  Nice gift buddy!

Reply #98March 25, 2020, 11:45:27 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2020, 11:45:27 pm »
I didn't do anything on MY VWs today but when I was trying to find out why a ladies water heater would not give her hot water I walked into her garage to check the breaker panel and there was this classic aqua colored 1970's VW Beetle. 

I said Wow and she informed me that it belonged to her former husband.

He finished the restore just 4 months prior to passing on.  What a shame not to be able to enjoy all the hard work.  I didn't ask what she planned to do with it.

She talked about a son in law so maybe it will be handed down in time.  But for now she should be driving it when the weather is nice.

Oh, maybe she does not know how to drive a stick.  Forgot about that.

It was just so nice to see it.

Reply #99April 05, 2020, 08:09:48 am

srgtlord

• Veteran

« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2020, 08:09:48 am »
First time driving my mk2 since October. Turned the key and started right up :)

Reply #100April 11, 2020, 09:41:04 am

srgtlord

• Veteran

« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2020, 09:41:04 am »
Replacing the rear coil springs on my MK2 today. On the variable MOOG heavy duty springs the top 4 coils have worn out making the car sit considerable lower. No more MOOG springs for me. I purchased a set of TRW cc225 SPRINGS as they are a company VW uses for OEM parts.

Reply #101April 15, 2020, 10:41:51 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text

Reply #102April 16, 2020, 10:37:34 am

Dennis Froelich

• Global Moderator
  • Junior

« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2020, 10:37:34 am »
Looks very good sir!! Nice truck!! Love the wheels also!!
79 Golf GTD
96 Golf GTD(TDI)

Reply #103April 16, 2020, 09:13:14 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2020, 09:13:14 pm »
Wheels off a Mini Cooper.  Lady moved to town a year ago and had those with studs in them.  I took the time to remove the studs and with a 1/4 inch spacer on the fronts they don't rub the struts at all.  16 inch rims.  I bet I have 2.5 times the footprint compared to the standard 13 inch 155's I had on there. 

Reply #104April 17, 2020, 12:15:37 pm

Dennis Froelich

• Global Moderator
  • Junior

« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2020, 12:15:37 pm »
Looks great sir!! More meat on the road never hurt anything.
79 Golf GTD
96 Golf GTD(TDI)

Fixmyvw.com