Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 45372 times)

Reply #75September 05, 2018, 11:29:48 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2018, 11:29:48 pm »
I got the roof pushed back out.
patinasmashroof by vwfatmobile, on Flickr

patinasmashroof2 by vwfatmobile, on Flickr

Last weekend someone climbed the ladder on the RV parked next to me and jumped down on my roof.
 At about 5:00AM. Hell of a way to get woke up.
Security got him when he jumped off another RV. Even though he bit one of them.

I removed the roof rack (It's from a '93 Subaru legacy wagon).
 Got inside and pushed the roof back up with my feet.
 It looks pretty good but I get the feeling it wouldn't take much for it to pop back down.
 That would freak me out if I hit a bump and the roof popped back down.

What it used to look like:
rabbitroofrack by vwfatmobile, on Flickr
 Anyone have a used Subaru parts connection? I loved that roof rack. :'(
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #76September 11, 2018, 08:34:31 pm

srgtlord

• Veteran

« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2018, 08:34:31 pm »
Spent the day chasing electrical gremlins. Turns out a wire to my reverse lights broke off at the fuse box. Also discovered the relay to my rear wiper died after the capacitor exploded. Found the power wire to the aftermarket radio decided to fray after rubbing against the fuse box for 6 years. Fixed that too. Now I have a working car again :)

Reply #77November 01, 2018, 09:03:37 am

Cawthorne

« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2018, 09:03:37 am »
I refilled my bad boy with some oil earlier today. Also cleaned it up a little bit under the hood while I was around that area.

Reply #78February 06, 2019, 05:05:13 pm

JacintoPlova

What did you do to your car today
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2019, 05:05:13 pm »
9 of regular gas. i did some awesome stuff yesterday. tell you later. And what is mechaphelia?

Reply #79February 06, 2019, 05:16:50 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2019, 05:16:50 pm »
Mechaphelia =  The overwhelming need to have an emotional or sexual relationship with a car is referred to as mechanophilia or mechaphilia. And it’s actually more popular than you’d imagine.

We live in such a weird world.

Reply #80July 14, 2019, 11:24:59 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2019, 11:24:59 pm »
I can't believe that in this town where log trucks and diesels outnumber sports cars 10 to 1 there are no, nada, none, places that will service a set of fuel injectors.  I get responses like, just buy new ones they are cheap, to we send all ours to Eugene or Portland.

What a waste, and not exactly helpful for a Home Fixer.  So out of desperation I thought I would just build a pop tester from a hydraulic jack.  Then I hit the pause button.  Wait a minute, I have two spare fuel pumps sitting around doing nothing.  Time to make a four port pop tester. 

I put the bracket in the vice, bolted up a pump and proceeded to wire it with a 9 volt battery, some hoses and then I found my adapter set for my socket set.  I needed to put the 1/4 inch drive I use in my drill driver in a regular drill chuck and then upsize that 1/4 inch to a 3/8ths and slap on the 19 mm socket to drive the front end. 

I found it works just dandy but now I need containment around the injectors.  I tried a simple baggie so I could see the stream coming off each one.  The first few squirts on some of them was straight stream that cut right through the thin plastic.  So I am fabricating some plastic jars around them.  They will just hang off the nut in top of the injectors. 

I have about 4 sets of 4 injectors that I want to rebuild so this multi port apparatus is going to make it faster than doing them one by one. 

Anyone else have such a setup?

Reply #81July 15, 2019, 12:41:18 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2019, 12:41:18 pm »
Yes, I feel CERTAIN Woody Allen has at least one of these!

What are you trying to accomplish? A new Rube Goldberg landmark?

The whole idea of rebuilding injectors is to very carefully set the pressure by shimming them up AND making sure the internals are perfectly flat. I take my internals down to 3000 grit on a precision block.

Re-tap (release) the pause button on the bottle jack or simply buy a chinko tester for a little over $100.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #82July 15, 2019, 10:24:18 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2019, 10:24:18 pm »
Rube aint got nuttin on me!

What was I trying to accomplish?  Good straight forward question, glad you asked. 

I was looking to set the pressure on a set of 130 and 155 bar injectors from the multitude of spares I have laying around.  I agree that getting the proper pressure balance across a set really makes a difference in how it idles and runs.  But I didn't have that equipment so I decided to go an alternative method.

I can still see the type of spray that is coming out the end, so is it properly misting or straight streaming and going to bore into the piston?  That is a visual accounting for proper operation is it not?  Then there is the fact that I can turn the pump at various speeds and note if there is any difference at higher or lower RPM.  I can also time the amount of the operation on a set and come back and measure with one of those small syringes for volume.  I can figure out a fair balance between the sets that way.  I tried a comparison with two of the 130 and two of the 155 bar injectors and can definitely note a difference in volume in a one minute run.

So I am not trying to be old school with the pressure thing.  I am trying to do something different and to me it makes sense.  And little in this world makes sense to me now. 

Mostly I was trying to figure out which of the injectors I have are worth using.  Which ones are not atomizing correctly and which ones might get better if I cleaned them up. 

After going through about 6 of the worst ones I only saw one nozzle that was sent to the trash can.  All others cleaned up well enough with a wire brush and a small grinding wheel.  Just kidding, only cloth and paper used.  Solvent works wonders. 

I will pull a set off the Rabbit and see if the 130 bar set I have now will make it run any better.  It is a bit blue on the hard pulls.  Might actually be valve stem seals.  Oil pressure is kinda high, 100 psi

Reply #83July 17, 2019, 07:23:47 pm

Owain@malonetuning

• Administrator

« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2019, 07:23:47 pm »
cascade german uses DFIS mostly, they should be fine to work with them, give cascade (boraparts) a call if not.  Given how the canadian peso is doing it might be worth sending them up to Giles too
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 07:28:45 pm by Owain@malonetuning »

Reply #84October 06, 2019, 03:45:13 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2019, 03:45:13 pm »
Yesterday I put those LED lights on the VW Pickup.  Nice addition, 4 functions, driving, turn, low and highbeams all in one assembly.  Now I just need to clip into the parking light wires for the driving and turn parts. 

Found I have a small diesel leak that is dropping fluid on the hoses at the waterpump.  Popped a hole in the one going to the oil cooler.  Was able to trim back the hose and still use it.  Need to replace the O ring on the back head.  In car repair perhaps.  Just need to keep pressure on that little piece in front of the internal secondary pump. 

Reply #85February 16, 2020, 11:04:52 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2020, 11:04:52 pm »
So I went to add to this thread and I get the message that it has not been updated for at least 120 days. 

Surely the truth as the internet never lies to you.

I do find it odd that no one posts what they do to their vehicles.  I spent this weekend tweaking the fine stuff.  Half turns to the LDA spring tension to cut back the black smoke on heavy boost to try and get better mileage out of the beast.  Yah Beast, Screamer of one no less.

Well at least it has enough power to pull a load uphill without crawling in second to do it.

Other items fiddled with were the heater blower motor.  That was screaming like crazy in all speeds and had to go.  It still chirps some so I will order a new motor ASAP.  Can't do without a defroster here on the coast.  To much moisture on the windows on the cold mornings. 

Found the short of the EGT gauge wires.  Now I just need to deal with it in a better way.  Engine vibration causes it to become dysfunctional at idle.

Mostly did cleaning and looking for leaks. Finding none I closed the hood until next time.  Which I am hoping is sometime into the spring when I can get to sanding and painting it like I wanted to 2 years ago.  Ahh VW's, such is their ability to suck your time and return a noisy ride filled with the smell of unburnt diesel and enjoyment.

Reply #86February 17, 2020, 02:35:43 pm

Dennis Froelich

• Global Moderator
  • Junior

« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2020, 02:35:43 pm »
Went to the garage and said to both of my Rabbits... You will be running again in the future!!
79 Golf GTD
96 Golf GTD(TDI)

Reply #87February 17, 2020, 10:06:07 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2020, 10:06:07 pm »
Promises, Promises.  They know you are only daydreaming.

Reply #88February 18, 2020, 12:46:35 pm

Dennis Froelich

• Global Moderator
  • Junior

« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2020, 12:46:35 pm »
HA HA!! ;)

They eventually will.... ;D
79 Golf GTD
96 Golf GTD(TDI)

Reply #89February 19, 2020, 11:41:36 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2020, 11:41:36 am »
Yesterday I got another 2002 Jetta TDI.  This one is a sedan with a bit of body damage and some dog chew damage to the steering wheel, one of the seat belts and the shifter button.  It is reasonably respectable in appearance and runs/drives really well aside from a few small things that need attention.  Price was good.  Short-term plan is to let my daughter drive it while I finish up the Mk3 mTDI install into her '85 Vanagon Adventurewagen.  I'll then keep it as a spare car until I get around to parting it out, installing the engine into an '84 pop-top Vanagon that I have, and keeping the automatic trans as a spare for my 2002 wagon. 

Fixmyvw.com