Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 45396 times)

Reply #30September 27, 2015, 01:32:41 pm

rykx1970

Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2015, 01:32:41 pm »
I've wrapped my badge

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Reply #31September 27, 2015, 01:43:04 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2015, 01:43:04 pm »
Today I looked high and low for the much talked about computer software and devices that turn themselves on and off depending on whether or not you are hooked up to an EPA testing device. 

Sadly I must report that no such items can be found on a 1981 Rabbit. 

So Please stop telling me my vehicle is polluting the world while I enjoy great mileage.  I know how to read a dial gauge and I know how to time the IP.  I just choose to go for mileage not emissions.  Wouldn't you?

Reply #32September 29, 2015, 12:48:55 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2015, 12:48:55 am »
Wrecking yard rumble!
I'm on vacation right now. All the self serve yards in Vancouver are GONE (as in all the cars were shredded) so there's no hope there, but there were a few B3s in the Kelowna yards. Yanked 40 lbs of ABS stuff, window regulator, various switches and some other bits. Other than that just drove...
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #33September 29, 2015, 01:48:01 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2015, 01:48:01 am »
I just choose to go for mileage not emissions.  Wouldn't you?

I try to go for both.  On my '79 I run a bit of 'extra boost', the pump is turned down below the smoke level, and I have really enjoyed the quietness and un-stinkiness of the exhaust after I fit a universal diesel cat.  Better performance than a stock 1.6TD, no smoke, quieter than any muffler I've used and the exhaust is far less noxious.  Fuel economy is not noticeably affected. 

Reply #34December 15, 2016, 04:55:41 am

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2016, 04:55:41 am »
havent seen this topic in sometime, gotten buried, no one works on their cars on a daily basis anymore? :P
so anyway in the last few weeks i got my mk3 going, at first had some problems to iron,tweek out, took some time, had to get use to using vag-com.

folding it almost flat, well needed some attention here, before too much rust catches on,,.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 09:21:58 am by air-cooled or diesel »

Reply #35December 15, 2016, 10:41:41 pm

srgtlord

• Veteran

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2016, 10:41:41 pm »
I drive my mk2 to school and found out one of my brake lines are leaking...

Reply #36December 17, 2016, 07:45:56 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2016, 07:45:56 pm »
After Reading AirCooled post I wondered if that was done on his phone app.

Today I decided to get the starter off the Rabbit and see what is going on with the non engagement issue.  Seems the inner part of the solenoid that pulls pushes the gear into the flywheel was rubbing on the outer part of the case.  Some sort of gummy stuff needed to come off and some graphite lube went on.

Then I decided to let it idle some at the curb and reroute the temp sensors I have for the Waste Oil system to see if the cooling system is working as it should.  Seemed a little low to me and i just put a new thermostat in it so wasn't sure what was going on.  In the course of the investigation I heard the fan on the radiator cycle twice.  Hmm, it is only 40 degrees out here and I hardly ever hear that thing go on.  I opened the cap on the reservoir and raced the engine.  Nothing spraying in there.  Revved it a couple of times with no result,  Checked the belt on the alternator and water pump, all good and tight.  So I think my next post will be about changing the water pump.  Perhaps the impeller is not doing its job as intended.

Other than that it was sunny and not raining so I opened all the windows, hatch and sunroof.  Time to dry out some of that wetness from weeks of dragging water into it on my feet or the leak at the back hatch button. 

Good to have wrenches in hand again, and the carpet kept the stones out of my shoulders. 

Reply #37January 15, 2017, 07:41:21 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2017, 07:41:21 pm »
Working between the cold and dry and the incoming rain for the week I pulled the water pump off as I no longer had any return water coming into the upper reservoir.  I inspected the pump and it has the metal impeller and all is solid inside.  Nothing appears damaged that would cause loss of coolant flow.  So now I will just put a couple new O rings on it and test the new thermostat and refill and hope I don't get an air lock of some sort.  I never had the no flow problem in the past and not sure why I have it now. 

Anyway, got to get greasy today.  And a lot of Vitamin D. 

Reply #38January 17, 2017, 12:31:01 pm

Rabbit79

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Burns, Oregon,USA
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2017, 12:31:01 pm »
Today I have to figure out why my heater fan is blowing the fuse. It's been getting down to around 15 below zero every night for the past week (currently -5 as I type) and life without a fan isn't going to cut it. Built a fire out in the shop this morning and time to go to work.  :D
Current: 1979 Rabbit 4dr
            1984 F-250
            1999 Ford Ranger
Other v-dubs I've owned:
84 Rabbit
78 Rabbit (gasoline) flipped it end over end after driving all night and falling asleep at the wheel. RIP, it was a good little car.
70 Bug

Reply #39January 17, 2017, 07:42:00 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2017, 07:42:00 pm »
Rabbit79  I had a fan motor that was poorly lubricated and would cause the electrical side to work to  hard to make it spin.  With temps at -5 and lower your fan may be frozen up.  Look for resistance problems on the wires too.  Any sort of additional resistance at connections and such will increase electrical load as well.

Reply #40January 17, 2017, 11:19:06 pm

Rabbit79

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Burns, Oregon,USA
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2017, 11:19:06 pm »
It's actually a brand new fan. I just put it in this past summer. I've also wired around the fuse box many years ago because it had fried that pin in the connector on the  fuse box, right in the very corner of the connector where they always go bad. It ended up that I didn't get to it today, because just as I was about to head out to the shop my girlfriend complained that she didn't have enough hot water for her shower, so I had to dig into the water heater.... ended up being a bad lower element. Fixing stuff never ends it seems. I'll have to dig into it tomorrow.
            1984 F-250
            1999 Ford Ranger
Other v-dubs I've owned:
84 Rabbit
78 Rabbit (gasoline) flipped it end over end after driving all night and falling asleep at the wheel. RIP, it was a good little car.
70 Bug

Reply #41January 19, 2017, 12:55:43 pm

Rabbit79

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Burns, Oregon,USA
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2017, 12:55:43 pm »
You may have been right, ORCoaster, but we may never know because it has fixed itself somehow. As far as being frozen up, we had another cold spell about 2 weeks before this last one and it worked fine all through that, so who knows. I did notice the rain tray was packed full of snow, maybe a chunk of ice got down in there and caused some mischief. While I don't mind when a problem fixes itself, bad thing about that is they usually turn up again right when you don't need them to. By the way it's up to a balmy 28 degrees today.... feels like a veritable heat wave out there.  hehe
            1984 F-250
            1999 Ford Ranger
Other v-dubs I've owned:
84 Rabbit
70 Bug

Reply #42February 21, 2017, 05:17:15 am

marvyn31

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2017, 05:17:15 am »
Replaced the pads and installed a new passenger side mirror.

Reply #43February 21, 2017, 01:40:35 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2017, 01:40:35 pm »
Today I am watching the rain run off the car and feeling good about none of it seeping in the back hatch anymore.  Fixing the key hole weather o rings was the ticket.

Reply #44February 21, 2017, 10:19:51 pm

srgtlord

• Veteran

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2017, 10:19:51 pm »
Solved a random engine cut out issue on my mk2. Discovered some of the shoddy wiring from the previous owner was grounding out on the transmission case. I taped off the wire and no more issues :D

Fixmyvw.com