S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 45373 times)

Reply #15April 12, 2015, 10:24:07 am

the caveman

• Veteran

Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2015, 10:24:07 am »
My latest is a 97 mk3 GLX with a 98 AHU. Since it's a GLX ,it came with leather(HA!) seats. I hate leather( or pleather); burns your butt when hot, freezes when cold. Since I bought it, I have been looking for a late mk3 Wolfsburg with a white interior to swap. I decided not to look online anywhere outside Montreal because shipping would be ridiculous. Finally after 4 years,last week I saw a guy driving one 2 blocks from my house. Politely cut him off and asked if he wanted to make an easy $250. A week later I have nice white bolstered seats made in a nice material pattern. Didn"t do the rears because mine split, and the Wolfsburg didn't. I need the split backrest often enough and who care s about the backseat passengers anyways. Even my girlfriend likes them better. Now if there was an easy way to delete my sunroof
" I'm a vegetarian,not because i love animals, it's because i hate plants"
1970 Type 3 fastback
1972 Renault 12
1971 Super Beetle 140 HP 159 ft lbs
1987 Fox
1989 TD Jetta
1990 Fox
1989 Fox
1998 TDI Jetta
1990 T3 German MIL Transporter 1.9 na Giles super pump
1997 Jetta GLX TDI

Reply #16April 12, 2015, 02:24:34 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 02:24:34 pm »
Plywood and Liquid Nails seems to do the job on most openings that size around here.  Give it an extra wide bead on the forward edge.  I have actually seen an ad for a VW at one time that the person had taken body putty to the seam and just coated over it.  I couldn't believe what I was looking at.

Reply #17April 13, 2015, 06:19:55 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 06:19:55 pm »
Put Jezebel's summer shoes on...  205/50R15 Yokohama S.Drives

Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #18April 14, 2015, 11:04:31 am

Dennis Froelich

• Global Moderator
  • Junior

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 11:04:31 am »
Very nice Bryn. Would love a Mk3 Golf 2 door in Steel Blue!! Especially a TD powered one!!
79 Golf GTD
96 Golf GTD(TDI)

Reply #19April 21, 2015, 06:55:55 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 06:55:55 pm »
so i just completed orders for a/c parts. the 1 a/c was broke open for a very long time. so for 2 cars i have seal&valve kits, 1 compressor, exp valve, and 2 dryers. for the one i just need to referbesh the seals, change dryer, and some tweeking, recharge, and it should be fine. the other gets some parts, i ll get it flushed, new oil in used comperssor, oil in sys, new seals, exp valve, etc, and seal her up and see how it goes when i get a charge in it.   only thing im looking around for the low side line to the compressor, cannt find it at any of the usual places, any one have one?perchance?
had almost forgot, my clear fuel line came, oh what fun, i ll change it over 1st chance. :P
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:01:16 pm by air-cooled or diesel »

Reply #20April 21, 2015, 11:29:00 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 11:29:00 pm »
When it comes to putting the clear line on remember that you push it on and then pull it back just a tad so it bites on the nipples.  Man that sounds rough and rude.  But I forgot that little tip and when I was working on the outbolt of my car this weekend I forgot the extra set on that line and when I pulled into the parking lot at work I was pouring diesel all over the lot. That pump sure cranks out the volume to keep itself cool doesn't it.

So now I have a cup or so of fuel that I will park over for the rest of the week and everyone will tell me I have a leak and I should be fixing that.  Yeah, I done did dat.  So, get out the kitty litter I guess.  Then throw it in the garden planter to keep the slugs at bay.

push on pull back a bit.

Reply #21April 22, 2015, 06:28:07 am

sowyer1987

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2015, 06:28:07 am »
This Sunday I replace the alternator in my mk4 and yesterday I did the oil change full synthetic and I fix a radiator hose that started to leak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply #22April 22, 2015, 08:36:44 am

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2015, 08:36:44 am »
is there anything else i need to know to install the dryers? i usually get a guy to do it, and know its done right, but to do it myself im going to hook it up last after the rest of the system is sealed, keep 1 end on dryer hook up 1 end and snug and then the other end, i quite forget during a/c class, like 25 yrs ago, any special instructions on installing a dryer.

Reply #23April 22, 2015, 03:40:12 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2015, 03:40:12 pm »

and the tear-downs complete; running good now, purring along good
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 01:31:35 pm by air-cooled or diesel »

Reply #24May 21, 2015, 12:49:58 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2015, 12:49:58 pm »
Replaced my passenger side rear wheel bearing... Been meaning to do them for a long time.  Ran out of time to do the driver's side, will hopefully get to it this week.  My old bearings weren't looking so hot, they weren't quite TOAST yet but the inner race definitely didn't look so good.  Rollers were all dark in the center too.  50% of the whining noise is gone from the back, hopefully the other side takes care of the other 50%...
Bryn

Reply #25May 21, 2015, 03:29:53 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2015, 03:29:53 pm »
ive got this neat bonnet for greasing bearings,(front too), a couple of pumps on the gun and you have grease thru the bearing,(and yes i like to put my own grease in such things as front bearings). other wise it can take a good 10mins of constant hand greasing to get grease in small outter bearing, the big inner can take 20min or more by hand, and tiresome at that point too. this way i can have rear drum off, grease, clean up, and reassemble, only takes a few mins.

Reply #26May 22, 2015, 03:41:28 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2015, 03:41:28 pm »
ive got this neat bonnet for greasing bearings,(front too), a couple of pumps on the gun and you have grease thru the bearing,(and yes i like to put my own grease in such things as front bearings). other wise it can take a good 10mins of constant hand greasing to get grease in small outter bearing, the big inner can take 20min or more by hand, and tiresome at that point too. this way i can have rear drum off, grease, clean up, and reassemble, only takes a few mins.

Yup, I have one of those too. Just bought it recently actually... I did my trailer with it for the first time last week, MUCH MUCH easier to deal with for sure.
Bryn

Reply #27May 26, 2015, 11:58:19 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2015, 11:58:19 pm »
Finally did my other wheel bearing. The outer one was DEFINITELY cooked, scores on all the rollers and almost a ridge on the race. Sweet sweet silence now, I've been living with a whine from back there for far too long.

Also dealt with a rattle I've had coming from my right rear shock practically forever. Hadn't actually looked at the shock mount since I had new Bilsteins installed by a shop I trust about 25,000 km ago. Well there's been this clunking noise coming from the back there... I had the rear axle bushings replaced right before I had to do my engine swap so I was really stumped as to what the hell was going on. I finally popped the caps off the tops of the shocks last week and discovered the top nut on the klunking side was baaaarely threaded on. Tried tightening it up but didn't have the right tools. Got myself some low profile Allen wrenches, removed the nut, turns out the lower one was not tightened down AT ALL. I don't know what the hell whoever was working on my car was doing there, I had no real issue tightening it up properly. Reinstalled, went for a test drive, NO MORE CLUNK. Man I wish I did that years ago.
Bryn

Reply #28June 03, 2015, 11:22:56 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2015, 11:22:56 pm »
Hooked up my Auto Meter 35 PSI boost gauge and discovered my old gauge was reading 30% high. Even better I calibrated my VNT controller using the old gauge. My peak boost had been nearly 10 PSI less than I thought it was! Explains some things around the calibration settings I had to use for my pressure sensors. Also means more fun in the future!
Bryn

Reply #29September 19, 2015, 11:43:41 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2015, 11:43:41 pm »
Finally got time enough to crawl under the front end to see if axles were loose again and giving me that wobble at very low speeds.  Nope not this time.  Checked the hubs and the were not rockin like last time.  OK then, lets look at the tires.  Well now what are these buldges in the sidewalls all about.

I figured that even though the tires might get me through the winter I would rather not find out on some very wet road that the tread was indeed going to hydroplane if the water got deep and the speed was up.  So I swapped out the 13 inch tires for the 14's on Snowflake rims.  The M+S tires have plenty of tread.  In taking off the rear tires I also notice that I never did get around to checking on the adjustment on those bearings so that was some good work there.  I found that the passenger side one was a bit rusty looking and kind of dry so that got a new big bearing and new race tapped in and all new grease and it quieted down. 

Took it for a roll and no more shake of the steering wheel and it is solid on the road, no more fighting it to keep it in one lane.  So next spring I guess I get to buy new tires.  I think I will spend some coin and get something that will last more than 4 years and 25,000 miles as well.  40 dollars a piece for a tire gives that kind of trouble.  Glad I can now rest easy on those long commutes to the office.