Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: My ugly intercooler install  (Read 4015 times)

April 01, 2006, 08:57:25 am

GTD.

• Junior

• http://tinyurl.com/6yk84
My ugly intercooler install
« on: April 01, 2006, 08:57:25 am »

most of the external fins are knackered so i'm removing them all, otherwise the cooler is fine just need a couple of joiners and a load of jubilee clips, a reducer to test it then get some more pipe work to make it look nicer and  make some brackets up.

[Oo=w=oO]Golf GTD
VW Diesel Mehr Kraft. Weniger Verbrauch, Aus Liebe zum Automobil

Reply #1April 01, 2006, 10:39:11 am

johnny

• User+

• http://www.silver-ranch.com
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 10:39:11 am »
That is indeed a ugly IC   :oops:

Sorry to say, but that dumpvalve is only going to decrease your power.

Reply #2April 01, 2006, 11:15:35 am

GTD.

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 11:15:35 am »
Quote from: "johnny"
That is indeed a ugly IC   :oops:

Sorry to say, but that dumpvalve is only going to decrease your power.

I know, so the current supply to the opening solinoid circuit is switched off, only used it a couple of times for a laugh, my mate gave me it after hearing the turbo spool with the windows down from the drilled (cold side only) airbox.

He gave me it ad he had it lying around from an abadoned turbo project and I explaned to him why TDs dont have or need dump valves due to TDs not having a throttle butterfly so there is no risk of turbo stall from vacume when the throttle butterfly snaps shut.

[Oo=w=oO]Golf GTD

Reply #3April 01, 2006, 12:33:58 pm

Kudagra

• Veteran

• www.no-coast.com
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 12:33:58 pm »
I bet the pressure drop that IC has negates any temp drop that thing might produce with all the folded over or missing fins.

Of course its better then my set up...

my car is still in a ka-billion peices.
Turbo boost libido and passive restraints
And as of yet I haven't heard even a single complaint
I've got the tools of the trade and a fuel injected heart
Efficiency is beautiful, efficiency is art

Reply #4April 01, 2006, 12:53:05 pm

GTD.

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 12:53:05 pm »
I originally had the standard GTD ic (same location as the g60 aircon ic) but as my car had been in a front end collision before i bought it the plastic ducts had been damaged so it acted as an interwarmer and was just heat soaking from the engine bay

If i can get this one or an other ic fitted and working I'll see if my mate can make me some ducts out of glass fibre as he used to lamante glass fibre body panels for plant machinery

[Oo=w=oO]Golf GTD

Reply #5April 01, 2006, 04:53:41 pm

Maarten

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 04:53:41 pm »
Do I see a BOV?

I don't think that IC will do much good... shop the salvageyards for one in good shape :)
Audi A3 TDI '98
VW cabby '79
VW T3 1.9TD '91

Reply #6April 01, 2006, 04:57:25 pm

GTD.

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 04:57:25 pm »
Quote from: "Maarten"
Do I see a BOV?

What do you mean by bov? the dumpvalve or the manafold over pressure valve?

[Oo=w=oO]Golf GTD

Reply #7April 01, 2006, 06:14:13 pm

Otis2

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 06:14:13 pm »
He probably means "blow off valve", or "dump valve" as johnny called it.

That blue cylindrical thing, in line between the turbo's compressed air output and the IC.

Does it vent excess pressure to the atmosphere, above some fixed limit?  If so, you're leaking boost with it.

However, we could be wrong about whether it is actually a BOV.  It's hard to tell what it does from the picture.  Maybe it's a manual boost controller, bleeding air from the pressure signal to the wastegate, so "cheating" the wastegate into opening later.

Reply #8April 01, 2006, 07:50:39 pm

GTD.

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 07:50:39 pm »
Its a Bailey piston dump valve (DV 24), controlled by two EGR solenoids a Passat B3 IDI EGR throttle switch, a change over relay and a switch.

Its controlled by the "EGR" switch (my 91 SB doesn’t have a EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) system, so I found a switch fitted to a Passat B3 IDI TD and used this to open a solenoid so the vacuum would open the dump valve when the throttle returns to rest., though the solenoid worked the other way round so I used a change over relay as a "NOT" gate go the valve would open at idle when the system was activated.

originally it used 1 solenoid but leaked boost as the piston had +ve pressure on one side and atmospheric pressure on the other side, so the piston was forced open when boost was achieved which was not at all desirable.

So I fitted a second EGR solenoid with a t piece and two vacuum check valves (off a MK2 1.6 carburettor vacuum system) so when the throttle is released the dump valve would receive vacuum so it would open and when the throttle moves away from rest the relay changes over closing the vac solenoid and opening the boost solenoid so the dump valve gets fed atmospheric or pressurised air feed, tapped from the hose that goes from the inlet manifold to the LDA on the diesel pump

A second switch is also fitted so that the vacuum solenoid can be switched off so the dump valve can only open when the throttle returns to rest and the switch is closed.

The system was fitted as an engineering exercise to see how cheaply a diesel "dump valve" kit can be made compared with the off the shelf kits from tuners such as Allard turbosport and partially for comedy value " TD with a dump valve" LOL!. Its only been used a couple of times to test it and once on the road when a guy in a Peugeot 306 HDI was trying to racing me off every set of traffic lights on a dual carriage way I noticed him keep glancing over then try and beat me at the first set of lights, showed him what a 1.6 IDI GTD could do (with a slipping clutch) on the second then activated the dump valve at the third set of traffic lights switched it on at the third set of traffic lights

[Oo=w=oO]Golf GTD

Reply #9April 02, 2006, 01:47:28 am

dieselweasel

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 01:47:28 am »
That aftercooler won't do much.  Removing the fins won't help because they transfer the heat.  You should find a better one or get that one re-finned at a shop that specializes in that type of work.  Most rad shops should be able to do it.
'94 Jetta TD dusty mauve-302,xxx kms

Reply #10April 05, 2006, 12:27:14 pm

okron1k

• Junior

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 12:27:14 pm »
i heard a bad intercooler is worse than no intercooler at all. but i dont know if that intercooler is bad or not.

Reply #11April 05, 2006, 12:49:41 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 12:49:41 pm »
I've seen a radiator fin straightener tool sold for cheap at harbor freight tools I wanted to buy to try out on radiator and intercooler fins:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37892
Probably would make the job a lot easier than using a wire to straighten out the fins.  I've done it a few times before using a wire and it works, as long as you are patient and willing to take the needed time to do it.  It's amazing how many little rocks can get stuck in there (and kind of fun to pick them all out.  :wink: )
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #12April 05, 2006, 12:53:08 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 12:53:08 pm »
haha jake i went thought that with an old audi oil cooler i scored from the parts bin!

that intercooler looks beyond help... i'd just find another esp with all the resources you have over there........

Fixmyvw.com