S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: AAZ Pump throttle linkage HELP!!!! I did a terrible thing...  (Read 3281 times)

March 04, 2015, 01:56:22 pm

Formerfreeagent

• User+

Alright guys, I'm in dire need here... I'm almost to the point of wrapping up my year long project and finally having a running driving car... and as with these times I got a little over zealous...

Long story short I needed to reseal my pump and I noticed there was a lot of grit in the fuel that was inside of it so with some re assurance from a couple friends we ripped the entire thing down to an empty case. Of course we were smart enough to take pictures. Sadly I wasn't smart enough to take my phone out of my pocket at a surprise pool party.... and yep, those are all lost for good

So I've looked through every ETKA and every IPC and all the pictures in for sale ads I can find and I cannot find the correct a diagram for how the throttle arms and springs go on. My pump has 2 lower springs and all the diagrams I can find only have 1. The one diagram I found that had 2 one of the arms was backwards from what mine is. I am looking for any Pictures, threads, Diagrams that you guys have on hand that can get my pump put back together and functioning. I don't have time or money to send it Giles up in Canada and the 2 local shops that service VE pumps are both asking over 3K to do it. (Parts and Labor)...

That is problem 1 and the Biggest problem, Problem 2...

I also had to remove the dark grey timing hub in order to get out the shaft seal and change it out.... I then found out you can't re-time the pump without that in place. I improvised and took a 1.6 Injection Pump pulley and Wood drift key popped it into the shaft rotated it to TDC (or BTD because my luck ) marked it, and put the timing hub and pulley back on.

Will that work to re-time the pump? Am I crazy?

Does anyone have a link to a process to re-timing the AAZ pump with 2 piece pulley from scratch? Know where I can find it?

Any and all help appreciated, name calling and laughing at my stupidity will be accepted...
TIA

Reply #1March 04, 2015, 04:18:43 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Re: AAZ Pump throttle linkage HELP!!!! I did a terrible thing...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 04:18:43 pm »
Set all your throttle stuff up in a row and take a picture. I can probably tell you the order to assemble.

Sounds like what you did for thd timing should work. You'll need a dial indicater to time it like the 1.6 pumps though. You rotate the big pump pulley to adjust the timing though instead of rotating the pump.
Tyler

Reply #2March 04, 2015, 11:50:06 pm

Formerfreeagent

• User+

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 11:50:06 pm »
Thanks for the reply Burn, I was hoping I could get your attention. I have been reading threads where you've talked others through the pump pulley issue.

I have a dial indicator, and I have the "adapter" that screws into the back of the pump head... however I have misplaced the rod that goes into the adapter. Do you know if there are specs to the dimension of the rod?

I'll try to pull of the linkage parts out tomorrow and lay it out and snap a few photos. I have it bagged in different sections I'll probably post the pictures that way.

Thanks again

Reply #3March 05, 2015, 12:03:45 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 12:03:45 am »
For the rod you can use anything that will fit inside your adaptor.

Tyler

Reply #4March 05, 2015, 12:47:34 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 12:47:34 am »
For the rod I used a bit of brazing rod cut to the length I needed.  Like Burn says, just has to fit inside the adapter and bump against the nub of the dial gauge.

Must have been a great party!  How does one "forget" their phone is in their pocket?  Cargo pants maybe.

Reply #5March 24, 2015, 07:48:21 pm

Formerfreeagent

• User+

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 07:48:21 pm »
Sorry for the super late reply guys, I got called out of state for work for a couple of weeks. Finally back in town with the car and the pump and... I HAVE PICTURES!

P.S. All I'm Saying about the party is Alcohol may have been a LARGE contributing factor.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 07:50:46 pm by Formerfreeagent »

Reply #6March 25, 2015, 05:19:23 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 05:19:23 pm »
Can you put everything in a row and take one picture? That way we can number the items (1 - however many pieces) and put them in order. Don't mix in the side levers since you still have those mostly separate.
Tyler

Reply #7March 25, 2015, 05:35:25 pm

Formerfreeagent

• User+

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 05:35:25 pm »
Hey Burn,

Yeah I'm off work in about 30 Minutes I'll pull all the parts and try and label them into one photo all I have with me is my cell phone but I'll do what I can.

I'm not 100% sure which ones are the side levers. But when I take a look at it again this afternoon I might have it come back to me.

Thanks for all the help

Reply #8April 09, 2015, 12:27:11 pm

manehfr

• User+

• Personal Text
    GOLF MK2 1.9 M-TDI
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 12:27:11 pm »
sometimes its all about rellax take it easy  ;) this one worked like group therapy more than words maybe  ;D
GOLF MK2 1.9 M-TDI

S-PAutomotive.com