S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Does an A/c delete make the V belts hold up longer?  (Read 1984 times)

January 18, 2015, 09:33:41 am

jlpst94

• Junior

Does an A/c delete make the V belts hold up longer?
« on: January 18, 2015, 09:33:41 am »
Tired of adjusting and replacing the belts on my car.   Does deleting the A/c make this setup more reliable?   How about removing the power steering as well?
I see all of the threads but I'm not seeing why everyone is doing it

Reply #1January 18, 2015, 02:38:06 pm

jlpst94

• Junior

Re: Does an A/c delete make the V belts hold up longer?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 02:38:06 pm »
I'm going with an a/c delete with power steering. 
I'm aware that I need a non a/c bracket, but is there an even different one when you have power steering.   The PS bracket I have now bolts to the bottom of the a/c bracket.   I'm wondering if it bolts to the bottom of the non a/c bracket or if it's completely different.
Thanks in advance

Reply #2January 19, 2015, 03:15:12 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 03:15:12 pm »
We're probably talking MK2 here,.. since it has power steering.
 If so the bracket remains the same.
 The power steering runs off the crank and water pump so a non-AC conversion probably won't effect that.
What year and model?
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #3January 22, 2015, 08:29:14 am

jlpst94

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 08:29:14 am »
It's an mk2 with a 1.6td.   Thanks, I now know that PS will work with non A/c brackets.  I also started another thread to see if a 1.5 bracket will work and that is a NO.  That sucks because I have a trailer full of 1.5 parts that I inherited. 
So I just need to find a 1.6 non a/c bracket and I'll be ready to go

Reply #4January 22, 2015, 03:05:09 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 03:05:09 pm »
So you don't have the MK2 AC alternator bracket?
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #5February 25, 2015, 03:07:41 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 03:07:41 pm »
Tired of adjusting and replacing the belts on my car.   Does deleting the A/c make this setup more reliable?   How about removing the power steering as well?
I see all of the threads but I'm not seeing why everyone is doing it

I'm in the process of putting the a/c back on my car because we seem to be stuck in permanent summer here.

I'm not convinced removing the a/c makes the belts any more reliable, I have seen rapid belt wear on cars without a/c. But it does make the belts significantly easier to replace (and there are fewer of them) and reduces the weight and load on the engine. However, what does seem to make a difference is the condition of the pulleys. If the pullies, including the crank pully are worn, out of round, wobbling or the bearings involved are worn and wobbling the belts will wear rapidly and will smack up and down and become loose. The power steering on these cars (mk2 or mk1) is unnecessary. They are not difficult to drive without power steering if you have the actual manual steering box, so you can eliminate a potentially messy maintenance item by removing the power steering.

You do not need a different bracket to delete the power steering, you can remove the pump and the mounting ears for it will just hang there in space, connected to nothing.