Model Specific Questions and Info > MK2 Golf/Jetta and Audi 5k

Thinking of a new starter

(1/3) > >>

jhax:
Hey Everyone,

I think it's about time for a new starter, 29 years on what I'm almost positive is the original. I am looking in autohausaz at the Bosch remanufactured (SR34X) and the PPR remanufactured (BOS304). Anyone have any information on the PPR? It does come with gear reduction for what I assume is less torque. Any input? I am not at all hesitant to go OEM bosch but just wanted some input. My symptoms are very hard starting in both warm and cold weather and when the engine is warm vs cold. It has been getting worse over the past few months. The starter grinds like something is rotating but not enough for the gear to turn the flywheel. I just did my timing belt and gear a year ago and really do not think the pump has rotated out of time, it just doesnt sound like it.

Also, is there a "quick and easy" way to replace the rings in these motors? The esaiest way I can think of is to take off the head, remove the oil pan. Rotate the crank so the desired cylinder is up top, unbolt the rod and push the rod up through the top of the cylinder enough to replace the upper most ring (that's the one I have read only causes blow by, the others really arent prone to serious wear). Just a fleeting thought.

Thank You,
Justin

vanbcguy:
Bosch Bosch Bosch Bosch Bosch Bosch Bosch Bosch....

The grinding sounds you describe may well be a worn out starter bushing in the transmission housing.  There's a bushing that the nose of the starter engages which tends to wear out causing slow starts and can go as far as trashing the starter.

If you don't want to deal with the bushing, the early 2000 automatic TDI starters will apparently fit the IDI 020 engines.  They don't have the pilot bushing, one less thing to go wrong.  All the newer starters are gear reduction; they generally work a lot better than the old direct drive ones did.

As to rings, yep you can do exactly what you are describing, though you might as well replace the whole set, plus give the engine a light hone with a bottle brush style hone.  Though if there's much of a top ridge you probably aren't going to get much out of it.

jhax:
Alright, just wanted to be absolutely positive, I was planning on it anyway, was just curious about the gear reduction. Might as well get both the bushing and starter. Thanks sir.

jhax:
Also, how can we confirm the early 2000s auto starter will work, anyone else care to chime in? Too late, too expensive, I wont have this engine for more than a few years anyway.

srgtlord:
Confirmation would be the fact that I have one in my 1985 golf ;) I beleive the part number I used was bosch SR0419X

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version