Author Topic: Thinking of a new starter  (Read 4684 times)

January 27, 2015, 02:56:53 pm

jhax

• Veteran

Thinking of a new starter
« on: January 27, 2015, 02:56:53 pm »
Hey Everyone,

I think it's about time for a new starter, 29 years on what I'm almost positive is the original. I am looking in autohausaz at the Bosch remanufactured (SR34X) and the PPR remanufactured (BOS304). Anyone have any information on the PPR? It does come with gear reduction for what I assume is less torque. Any input? I am not at all hesitant to go OEM bosch but just wanted some input. My symptoms are very hard starting in both warm and cold weather and when the engine is warm vs cold. It has been getting worse over the past few months. The starter grinds like something is rotating but not enough for the gear to turn the flywheel. I just did my timing belt and gear a year ago and really do not think the pump has rotated out of time, it just doesnt sound like it.

Also, is there a "quick and easy" way to replace the rings in these motors? The esaiest way I can think of is to take off the head, remove the oil pan. Rotate the crank so the desired cylinder is up top, unbolt the rod and push the rod up through the top of the cylinder enough to replace the upper most ring (that's the one I have read only causes blow by, the others really arent prone to serious wear). Just a fleeting thought.

Thank You,
Justin

Reply #1January 27, 2015, 05:23:51 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: Thinking of a new starter
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 05:23:51 pm »
Bosch Bosch Bosch Bosch Bosch Bosch Bosch Bosch....

The grinding sounds you describe may well be a worn out starter bushing in the transmission housing.  There's a bushing that the nose of the starter engages which tends to wear out causing slow starts and can go as far as trashing the starter.

If you don't want to deal with the bushing, the early 2000 automatic TDI starters will apparently fit the IDI 020 engines.  They don't have the pilot bushing, one less thing to go wrong.  All the newer starters are gear reduction; they generally work a lot better than the old direct drive ones did.

As to rings, yep you can do exactly what you are describing, though you might as well replace the whole set, plus give the engine a light hone with a bottle brush style hone.  Though if there's much of a top ridge you probably aren't going to get much out of it.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #2January 27, 2015, 07:50:51 pm

jhax

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 07:50:51 pm »
Alright, just wanted to be absolutely positive, I was planning on it anyway, was just curious about the gear reduction. Might as well get both the bushing and starter. Thanks sir.

Reply #3January 27, 2015, 07:57:47 pm

jhax

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 07:57:47 pm »
Also, how can we confirm the early 2000s auto starter will work, anyone else care to chime in? Too late, too expensive, I wont have this engine for more than a few years anyway.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 08:05:11 pm by jhax »

Reply #4January 29, 2015, 11:55:17 am

srgtlord

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 11:55:17 am »
Confirmation would be the fact that I have one in my 1985 golf ;) I beleive the part number I used was bosch SR0419X
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 11:58:29 am by srgtlord »

Reply #5January 29, 2015, 01:04:29 pm

jhax

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 01:04:29 pm »
Good to know, at this point the original plus the bushing is cheaper and I will only have this motor in for a few more years. Thanks though. Good for reference.

Reply #6February 04, 2015, 12:12:38 am

jhax

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 12:12:38 am »
Wow, what a world of a difference. Starts right up with no hesitation. So here is my after thought. How or why or what causes the starter bushing to go bad? I mean it's a solid brass piece? Does the constant in out and spinning motion of the starter shaft wear on the inner walls and make the bushing wider? If the bushing is wider, how would that affect starting so much?

Reply #7February 04, 2015, 08:29:48 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 08:29:48 am »
It only takes a few thousands and brass is soft so it can get that clearance after time. The shaft having the extra play puts extra load on the starter and then slower cranking and it will ruin the starter if it is bad enough and goes long enough. The other thing is you need to lube the bushing as without it the bushing will wear. I had a post on here about making a self lubricating bushing or you can use grease.

Reply #8February 04, 2015, 08:42:23 am

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 08:42:23 am »
That little pinion, shaft and bushing are doing big work, turning that high compression engine.

The bushing is actually sintered bronze, impregnated with lubricant. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oilite

The bushings wear, and the shaft is no longer concentric to the motor housing and binds under load.

Reply #9February 04, 2015, 09:40:32 am

jhax

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 09:40:32 am »
Hmm, interesting stuff, thanks.

Reply #10April 28, 2015, 08:41:45 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 08:41:45 pm »
Confirmation would be the fact that I have one in my 1985 golf ;) I beleive the part number I used was bosch SR0419X

Great Post srgtlord !

I logged in to start a new thread - asking about info on what was the other starter that was use-able on 1.6 - without the long guide/support shaft/axle for the bendix gear.

Some companies used to market it as a direct replacement - w/o the shaft.
But no one seems to be offering it as an option anymore.

Have an 89 Jetta here that when I went to install a new starter and bushing ... there was No Bushing . And the new bushing would slide in and out with a finger-tip touch. Improvised a make-shift repair to firm up the bushing bore fit - didn't last for very long.

It never grinded the teeth before or after.
Just not enough ummpphh to crank the engine.
Either had to jump start with a V8 , or roll crank .

Rarely drive it for the past couple of years due to that.
And I have a fleet of other VW Diesels to drive.
Recently decided to take action and see if a non-axle starter will cure it.

Thanks to all you guys for the thread and the info.

Mk4 TDI with Automatic application.
Will see what I can find out there $

Fixmyvw.com