Author Topic: MK1 1.6 TDR taking on mk2 GTI 16V... help me get there!  (Read 12975 times)

Reply #15January 30, 2015, 06:29:22 am

mark3kid

• Junior

Re: MK1 1.6 TDR taking on mk2 GTI 16V... help me get there!
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 06:29:22 am »
The damage was more then we thought. Originally I just sent it to get planed and the pre combustion chambers replaced. But since then the car never worked right. I'm putting a brand new 0km head on it this time.
When that turbo hits full boost you will forget all about the work to get you there, I promise It's pretty similar to women giving birth... - Alcaid

Reply #16January 30, 2015, 08:25:02 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 08:25:02 am »
keep the bov disabled, when that thing opens it creates a major boost leak which can over spin the turbo and destroy it, its better to over boost a little(20psi) than to over spin it that hard.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #17January 30, 2015, 09:30:48 am

jmaddocks

• Junior

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 09:30:48 am »
Regarding boost leaks... We had a couple of intake manifold bolts start to loosen a while back, and a short section of the intake manifold gasket blew out, creating about a 5 psi boost leak.  Peak EGT soared from around 1100F to the low 1500s  :o  Another reason to have an EGT gauge.
'89 Jetta 1.6d HE200WG, ported solid lifter head, ARP studs, FMIC, 2.5" exhaust, lightened FW, ACT clutch
'79 Rabbit ABA swap, microsquirt
'91 Corrado 1.9L T3/T04e, ported 16v head, JE pistons, Scat rods, megasquirt, peloquin, E85, etc

Reply #18January 31, 2015, 07:26:58 am

Selle

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 07:26:58 am »

How much power is that on mk4, did you dyno?

According to Alcaid the turbo can deliver ~260 crank hp on a TDI. I'm running stock internals and head, so i'm not planing to take out that much.

I have not dynoed the car, the tune is not finished and the preferred dyno in this area is closed during the Winter. I get disappointed if it does not have over 200 cank hp and hoping for about 220. Combined with 4Motion, the car is really fun :)

Reply #19February 03, 2015, 07:52:17 am

golfmk1tdr

• Junior

• My car's forum thread
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 07:52:17 am »
Regarding boost leaks... We had a couple of intake manifold bolts start to loosen a while back, and a short section of the intake manifold gasket blew out, creating about a 5 psi boost leak.  Peak EGT soared from around 1100F to the low 1500s  :o  Another reason to have an EGT gauge.

Could you hear hissing sound when biulding boost with that leak?
I cant hear anthing thats the reason I suspect wastegate leak rather than intake/head gasket leak.
Also gasket are all new vw  :-\ If it leaks that was money wasted  :-[

How much power is that on mk4, did you dyno?

According to Alcaid the turbo can deliver ~260 crank hp on a TDI. I'm running stock internals and head, so i'm not planing to take out that much.

I have not dynoed the car, the tune is not finished and the preferred dyno in this area is closed during the Winter. I get disappointed if it does not have over 200 cank hp and hoping for about 220. Combined with 4Motion, the car is really fun :)

No need for dyno if you ask me, just measure straight road to 1/4 mile and do standing start run both ways...
Look for speed exactly when you pass 1/4 mile mark.
Speed on the end of q-mile run in relation to car weight is best homemade dyno,should be pretty acurate.

For everyone interested into free dyno...
http://www.turbobricks.com/resources.php?content=quartermiledyno

current status
Car still not boostin as it should, so I am saving for holset turbo already in contact with alcaid.
Funny enaugh I got twice the pay this month (accountants accident, almost had heart attack)
Very tempted to just order turbo, but I wont get any pay next month becose of this so I am playing it safe,
hopefully selling some rims tommorow then I will think about ordering again.

Car is just daily driver right now, don't have garage to work now so with snow outside I don't really feel like opening the turbo.
Hopefully a friend will let me use his shop but he is 2 hour drive away so it only makes sense if I do it on weekend.

So with Holset in mind (still excited just to think about it  :P) now comes the issue of exhaust manifold.

This is picture I searched for on ebay with recomendation from alcaid, but I feel with shipping cost's included it's too expensive,
I would rather search for used one.
If anyone can say which cars have suitable exhaust manifold for 1.6 TD for mk1 GOLF so I wont have fitment issues, please say it.
Will do research right now still here might be faster.
1.6+holset MK1 Golf TDR /TurboDieselRacing
(no GTD because GT is grand tourismo and there is nothing grand and touristic in my stripped out lowered beast)

Reply #20February 03, 2015, 09:03:22 am

jmaddocks

• Junior

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 09:03:22 am »
I cant hear anthing thats the reason I suspect wastegate leak rather than intake/head gasket leak.

No hissing; just lower boost than expected and high EGT.  I used a spray bottle with soapy water to find the leak.

Regarding the manifold, this is the one I got.  Looks like it's currently $78 w/ free shipping in the U.S.
'89 Jetta 1.6d HE200WG, ported solid lifter head, ARP studs, FMIC, 2.5" exhaust, lightened FW, ACT clutch
'91 Corrado 1.9L T3/T04e, ported 16v head, JE pistons, Scat rods, megasquirt, peloquin, E85, etc

Reply #21February 03, 2015, 09:20:59 am

golfmk1tdr

• Junior

• My car's forum thread
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 09:20:59 am »

No hissing; just lower boost than expected and high EGT.  I used a spray bottle with soapy water to find the leak.

Regarding the manifold, this is the one I got.  Looks like it's currently $78 w/ free shipping in the U.S.

How did you pressurize the intake to check for bubbles? Revved the engine?
Also I am from europe, so shippiung included that's over 160 bucks... Thank you anyway. That remids me I should update my user info.
Do you have holset on 1.6D engine block? Or is it TD block? Just curious, I would have thought stock engine cant handle such boost safely...

EDIT:
This looks to be the same manifonld, but here it's listed for VW Phateon ???
Can anyone confirm Phateon manifold fits our heads? Interesting... VW legos for adults  ;D
http://www.andysautosport.com/products/cx_racing__MF-VW-8V-T25-CAST.html
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 09:59:25 am by golfmk1tdr »
(no GTD because GT is grand tourismo and there is nothing grand and touristic in my stripped out lowered beast)

Reply #22February 03, 2015, 10:37:53 am

jmaddocks

• Junior

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 10:37:53 am »
Also I am from europe, so shippiung included that's over 160 bucks... Thank you anyway. That remids me I should update my user info.
Do you have holset on 1.6D engine block? Or is it TD block? Just curious, I would have thought stock engine cant handle such boost safely...

Yeah, we just revved the engine in neutral.

Regarding the confusion on shipping...I just assumed you were in the U.S. -- sorry about that!

The engine is a 1.6d, not a 1.6td.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the biggest difference is the lack of oil squirters.  Structurally, all the components are just as strong.  With no oil squirters, I have to keep the peak EGT about 150F lower, which isn't a problem with the Holset at high boost.  I'll be going to a MLS head gasket and ARP head studs after porting the head, but so far, the stock stretch bolts and HG and holding up fine.

Reply #23February 18, 2015, 02:46:43 pm

golfmk1tdr

• Junior

• My car's forum thread
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 02:46:43 pm »
The damage was more then we thought. Originally I just sent it to get planed and the pre combustion chambers replaced. But since then the car never worked right. I'm putting a brand new 0km head on it this time.

Did turbo survive??
What was the cost of chambers, expensive? Didn't know you can change them.

Yeah, we just revved the engine in neutral.

Regarding the confusion on shipping...I just assumed you were in the U.S. -- sorry about that!

The engine is a 1.6d, not a 1.6td.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the biggest difference is the lack of oil squirters.  Structurally, all the components are just as strong.  With no oil squirters, I have to keep the peak EGT about 150F lower, which isn't a problem with the Holset at high boost.  I'll be going to a MLS head gasket and ARP head studs after porting the head, but so far, the stock stretch bolts and HG and holding up fine.

Wow you are pushing some serious power through stock engine then, looks like I was smart to keep my stock block for spare  :)
TD head supposed to have cooled exhaust valves but I don't think they matter much.
What kind of boost you pushing in with stock gasket?

UPDATE (is this right place in the forum? or should I do another thread in userers ride wall?)

Bought bigger brakes for the front of the car today, I think it is smart when planing 200+ top speed and trackdays...  :P
Also hoping to order Holset turbo next week from alcaid if I manage to sell some project car over weekend, can't wait.

Also any way I put it, I can't justify buying exhaust manifold right now.
With postage it's about 150 bucks and then new gaskets and drilling EGT sensor in again... That also translates to waiting another month for paycheck, really annoying with broken turbo on daily  :-\ :( :-[ :'(

I am thinking of doing this with adapter plate, I am willing to sacrifice bit of power as long as it's not reliability issue... Anyone did it this way?
I will probably get AAZ head and correct manifold,have it flowed/ported in summer+possibly custom intake long runner manifold, but I just want to put this turbo on ASAP. :)

Reply #24February 18, 2015, 04:36:22 pm

mark3kid

• Junior

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 04:36:22 pm »
The turbo did survive but I decided to go with the holset and the block was also cracked and broken piston which I recently found out. So I have no idea what kind of power this holset will realease but this spring I will
When that turbo hits full boost you will forget all about the work to get you there, I promise It's pretty similar to women giving birth... - Alcaid

Reply #25February 19, 2015, 10:10:32 pm

jmaddocks

• Junior

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2015, 10:10:32 pm »
I am thinking of doing this with adapter plate, I am willing to sacrifice bit of power as long as it's not reliability issue... Anyone did it this way?
I will probably get AAZ head and correct manifold,have it flowed/ported in summer+possibly custom intake long runner manifold, but I just want to put this turbo on ASAP. :)

I originally did a dry fit with the Holset and stock 1.6TD exhaust manifold to see if an adapter plate would work.  I'm running a gasser intake manifold, so there wasn't any room for the turbo with the exhaust manifold installed normally.  With the exhaust manifold inverted, the Holset and rear engine mount were trying to occupy the same space, so that didn't work either. 

Reply #26February 21, 2015, 12:38:43 pm

Selle

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2015, 12:38:43 pm »
On my MK4 I have the stock manifold from the european AGR engine (same as ALH, but with a factory wastgate turbo) with a T25 flange welded on. This way the turbo hangs under the manifold. I think this will work on a MK1. It should be possible to find a used one

Reply #27April 06, 2015, 05:05:12 pm

golfmk1tdr

• Junior

• My car's forum thread
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2015, 05:05:12 pm »
About time to get thist thread back closer to first page  :P

Much has been going on around my car, unfortunately nothing good about the engine  :-\
--Instaled bigger brakes from Opel, so car now hangs me on safety belt when I slam the pedal  :)
--Fixed gearbox leaks so after long time there are no puddles when park
--Ordered and paid Holset turbo from Alcaid, so expecting to get it in 2 weeks time
--Lowered car back to normal height from winter jeep mode (just right stance but still good ride)

On my MK4 I have the stock manifold from the european AGR engine (same as ALH, but with a factory wastgate turbo) with a T25 flange welded on. This way the turbo hangs under the manifold. I think this will work on a MK1. It should be possible to find a used one

Thank you for this pic, you helped me to decide on buying new manifold  ;D
To think I would hang my precious new turbo to cast iron weld gave me chills,
so I am also purchasing exaust manifold-had some good offers but still waiting for some replies.
Did you give it to pro to weld it or was that done at home?
I know it's not easy to do properly so I quess it was rather expensive if pro did it...

BIG NEWS:
I 've been offered NEW 1.9 aaz head  ;D  8)
Only problem is that its naked head, no cam, no valves, no nothing  :-\
So can you tell me what parts from my 1.6 TD head fit to 1.9?
I will look into frankenhead mods if nobody feels like repeating,
but I need to know how huch stuff do I need to buy to make 1.9 head work.

Valves are different, correct?
What about valve guides and cam? Can I use 1.6 cam and sprocket?
I really hope injectors are the same  :-\

I hope anyone tells me here so I don't have to make new thread .

Also tonight was fun, had a tuned Renault in my rearwiev, too baad my turbo is broken or I would leave him mile behind.
Need more poweeeeer! (had to say it since Jezza doesn't anymore  ;D )

Reply #28April 09, 2015, 12:43:46 am

Selle

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2015, 12:43:46 am »

Thank you for this pic, you helped me to decide on buying new manifold  ;D
To think I would hang my precious new turbo to cast iron weld gave me chills,
so I am also purchasing exaust manifold-had some good offers but still waiting for some replies.
Did you give it to pro to weld it or was that done at home?
I know it's not easy to do properly so I quess it was rather expensive if pro did it...

The weld was done by a friend of Alcaid. I don't think he's a pro welder, but he was the most experienced present when we put on the turbo. The car has been my daily for one year now without any problems

Reply #29May 17, 2015, 03:33:02 am

golfmk1tdr

• Junior

• My car's forum thread
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2015, 03:33:02 am »

Now the real tunning begins to see how much can be done on stock 1.6 GTD pump  :P
Currently set at about 1.1 bar since the smoke is gone, probably modifying max fuel screw today if I have nothing else to do.
I have to figure out how to bring idle revolutions back down, I will try to rotate lever for a bit so it doesn't hit idle screw.
Will stay under 1.5 bar since I only have (new) stock headbolts, I think it should still be plenty fun.

Really annoyed by leaking valve cover gasket, I have 1.9 td rubber gasket under here but it still leaks from rear side by the pulley  >:(

I have to get my better set of tires on, these are just spinning stupid especially on wet road  ::)

Will try to do some quarter mile runs this week so I can estimate my power, I can't tell how much improvement it is since power delivery
with this turbo is so constant it doesn't really ''hit'' it just keeps pulling.

Also public thank you to Alcaid, he was cool and professional, hopefully I didn't annoy him too much with all my questions.

S-PAutomotive.com