Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Engine pump problems  (Read 3271 times)

December 30, 2014, 07:34:27 pm

Rifleguy308

Engine pump problems
« on: December 30, 2014, 07:34:27 pm »
Hello Folks. My dad and I a fairly new to diesels, but we love them and have so far done a decent job getting buy with what we can cobble together.  I found this site and it seems like a great place for some expert advice from fellow enthusiast.  Here is our problem:

My dad got ahold of a nice 81 Rabbit pickup with a blown motor.  He also got ahold of a 1.9 TD from a 2000 ish new beetle.  So naturally the 1.9 is sitting in his truck.  The install looks great, the only problem is someone had robbed the pump off the 1.9 motor.  My dad is on a fixed income, and even if he wasn't he would rather take a beating than buy something at retail, so he put a 1.6 NA pump on the truck and timed it to 1.00  The damn thing starts right up and idles beautifully.  It won't pull that hat off your head however.  It has no power.  I'm looking for thoughts, suggestions on what the best course of action would be.  Our main goal is fuel efficiency as his shop is about 35 miles from the house and the commute is eating him alive in fuel cost.  Thanks in advance!

Reply #1December 30, 2014, 10:46:18 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Re: Engine pump problems
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 10:46:18 pm »
Do you have all the electronics available to run a TDI pump? If not, your best bet would be something custom, or a rover pump.

You might also try more advance and see what happens. Have you modified the pump at all?
Tyler

Reply #2January 01, 2015, 12:27:40 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: Engine pump problems
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 12:27:40 am »
Get a Land Rover 300TDI pump.  It is non-electronic and 99% bolt-on for the ALH (curious about the mounts you used in a mk1).  It has plenty of power (way more than a 1.6) and will even get better fuel economy than a 1.6

Fixmyvw.com