Author Topic: Rabbit rear sunroof drains  (Read 4367 times)

December 25, 2014, 02:49:56 am

Sansocal

• User+

Rabbit rear sunroof drains
« on: December 25, 2014, 02:49:56 am »
My Rabbit is leaking like a sieve and I know the rear sunroof drains are not working. Any pointers on how to fix this? I am willing to rip out the upholstery that is glued onto the side pillar...

Reply #1December 25, 2014, 08:15:53 am

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
Re: Rabbit rear sunroof drains
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 08:15:53 am »
The prescribed fix is to run some ~1/4" aircraft cable down the drains to ream them out. Usually works well.

I'd remove the sunroof and clean out any other debris that may have collected and check the rear lip of the roof that serves to direct the water to the troughs.

Reply #2December 26, 2014, 12:12:00 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 12:12:00 am »
When I first bought my Rabbit a few years back the guy said he never opened the sunroof for fear of ripping up the seal even more so than it already had been.  But there was water coming in after the first few rains.  So I did as you ask and eased some of the ceiling down only to find that the drains were fine but the hoses that let the water out the back of the car were not even connected anymore.  In all the years it had sat around they shrunk and pulled off the nipples.  So off to the hardware store I went and replaced it all and never had a problem.  Don't forget there are holes on all four corners in that pan. Two hoses down the door pillar at the windshield. 

Ream and rinse is what you need to look into.  But a good check it so see if your cable or wire is poking out the rear of the hatch area before applying a stream of water to them.

Reply #3December 26, 2014, 08:19:56 pm

Sansocal

• User+

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 08:19:56 pm »
I looked into the read drains and sure enough the aren't even connected. Im thinking I may cut the hoses off short and connect (and seal with goop) a softer piece of rubber tubing that will barely stick out the nipple opening in the body. Then I will be able to slide in the nipples and only have to push or pull the soft tubing back a little.

Now I need to get new seals for the front doors... Has anyone tried using universal car weather seal? Stuff like this:

http://www.dhgate.com/product/200-quot-universal-car-door-rubber-seal-strip/168044468.html/?utm_source=pla&utm_medium=GMC&utm_campaign=fourbangmall&utm_term=168044468&f=bm%7c168044468%7c112006-ExteriorAccessories%7cGMC%7cAdwords%7cpla%7cfourbangmall%7cUS%7c112006013-CarDecals&Stickers%7cc%7c%7c0LRF%7c&gclid=CKG-w8CG5cICFQphfgodsKQASw

Obviously I can get some stuff off ebay, but that always seems to be just universal stuff cut to fit... (it doesn't usually look like what came from the factory)

Reply #4December 26, 2014, 10:48:05 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 10:48:05 pm »
30 dollars a foot???? are they crazy.   I looked at MK1 Autohaus parts and they have the whole door seal kit for 449.00 but the individual door seal around the edge is 110 with glue and keeper clips if you have the money now for their sale. 

http://www.mk1autohaus.com/Primary-Door-Seal-Kit-2-Door-GTI-Version-_p_8006.html

I would pay the 110 to get it all done with no fuss.

Reply #5December 27, 2014, 08:38:14 pm

Sansocal

• User+

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 08:38:14 pm »
I think its 200 feet for $30... could do at least a couple cars with that. I think I will end up buying those seals from mk1autohaus.. I decided to do the windshield seal first though.

Reply #6December 27, 2014, 10:58:09 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 10:58:09 pm »
Ok, I had to go back and look at it.  We used to sell hose at the fitting warehouse I worked at back in the 70's and our pricing was by the foot but if you bought more feet the price per foot was less.  That is how I looked at the 1-10 and other quantity information.

But look close here at the description.  Not 200 feet but 200 inches.  Look at the ditto mark not a single mark.

Product Name: 200" Universal Car Door Rubber Seal Strip Weather Stripping Edge Trim (06)
Item Code: 168044468
Category: Car Decals & Stickers Add to Favorite Categories
Short Description: Car Door Auto Noise Rubber Seal Strip Weatherstrip Seal Air Sealed Hollow Brand New Made with EPDM Rubber. "P" Shape
Quantity: 1   Piece

I am chasing a leak in all the coastal rain as well.  So I priced the rear hatch seal from MK1 Autohaus but I am going to measure the opening and see if I can do it with one 200 inch piece of this.  Very bad to have water in the car at this time of the year.  It might come a freeze for a day or two in Jan and that would make the doors freeze tight.  Bad enough just popping them open with a good frosty night.

Thanks for the information.  Always good to have other eyes looking for parts we can use.

Fixmyvw.com