Model Specific Questions and Info > MK2 Golf/Jetta and Audi 5k

Strut oddness perhaps?

(1/2) > >>

jhax:
Hey kids, im in the process of re-clutching the ol' girl and I noticed something rather interesting. While the wheels are in the air the tops of the strut housings (upon which the black plastic caps sit) moves down roughly two inches to become "flush" with the strut housings. When the wheels are on the ground, the weight of the car pushes the rubber spring housing becomes flush with the bottom of the strust housing on the body. Is this normal? I can grab the top of the strut and move it within the housing a substantial amount while the wheel is in the air.

vanbcguy:
Yup, that's how VW suspension works. Weird eh?

jhax:
Very. Perhaps they designed it so a top mounted strut bar could be placed there with ease?

TylerDurden:
I'm guessing they assumed the front end would never get airborne, what with the weight of the engine and all.

The rears, of course have rubber retaining bushings to handle the suspension drop or body lift.

bajacalal:
Yes, your struts are fixed to the body by nothing other than the force of gravity of the earth... though the caps fastened to the tops of the strut mounts limit their downward travel. The first time I discovered this I thought "really, VW, how cheap of you..." but that's how it is on the mk2 and up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version