Author Topic: Caddy turning radius increased after replacing both tie rod assemblies  (Read 2371 times)

December 29, 2014, 11:30:01 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

I paid a mechanic to replace both the left and right tie rod assemblies (inner and outer) on my 81 Caddy. Normally I do my own work so this is rare that I hired someone. I was not able to watch while the mechanic worked since I was busy. Anyway, a day or 2 later when I had to back into a parking space, I could not do it in one shot by cutting the steering wheel hard, I had to do a double take. Somehow, the turning radius felt bigger.

Today I went to an empty parking lot and measured the turn radius. Per the owners manual, it should be 35 ft 1 inch.  What I measured was:

left turn  39 ft 5 inch
right turn 42 ft 5 inch

This confirms what I felt, that the turning radius did get bigger.

I have not crawled under to see if anything is interfering. I did adjust the toe-in to be close (1/16") so it is not way off like when I picked it up from the mechanic (it was 3/4" toe out).

What do you think is going on? I have not had time to crawl under to look yet. The new tie rod assemblies are Meyle if that matters.

Reply #1December 30, 2014, 08:41:58 pm

RustyCaddy

• Veteran

Re: Caddy turning radius increased after replacing both tie rod assemblies
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 08:41:58 pm »
Replaced the tie-rod assemblies and steering rack over the weekend and took it into a tire shop for an alignment today.  The turning radius didn't change from before the work as far as i can tell.  May be your shop un-centered your rack or something (seems wrong that the radius is different from side to side).  Used a both a Febi and a Pex assembly.

Reply #2December 31, 2014, 07:30:55 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 07:30:55 am »
How does a rack get unscented? Like I said I wasn't there to watch while he worked.

Reply #3December 31, 2014, 09:49:16 am

RustyCaddy

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 09:49:16 am »
The ends of the rack should protrude the same distance on each side of the rack tube and the ends of the tie rod assembly should be screwed on the same distance out from the ends of the rack tube.  Otherwise tie rod assemblies end up being different lengths from side to side to compensate and the steering rack flexes more than it should.   Bentley has a good write-up with the specs.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:51:04 am by RustyCaddy »

Reply #4December 31, 2014, 01:31:55 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 01:31:55 pm »
My thoughts are that before the parts were replaced your rack was uncentered. It seems to have a wider turning radius now but that is likely only in one direction. I don't think it's physically possible to alter the turning radius by only changing the parts that you mention.
Tyler

Reply #5December 31, 2014, 02:50:11 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 02:50:11 pm »
My thoughts are that before the parts were replaced your rack was uncentered. It seems to have a wider turning radius now but that is likely only in one direction. I don't think it's physically possible to alter the turning radius by only changing the parts that you mention.

Before the parts (both tie rod assemblies) were replaced, steering wheel was perfectly centered and turning radius felt fine- I did not have problems cutting the steering hard to pull into or back into a space. After the parts replacement, turning radius increased a little over 5 ft in one direction and 7 ft in the other direction.

The Bentley gives dimensions on tie rod assembly's initial length before install. I will check where they're at when I get a chance.

Reply #6January 02, 2015, 02:18:34 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 02:18:34 pm »
i believe different toe in could effect this
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #7January 02, 2015, 04:40:54 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 04:40:54 pm »

Can you elaborate?

Reply #8January 03, 2015, 01:32:28 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 01:32:28 pm »

Can you elaborate?

do you know what toe in was before he replaced the tie rods?  i believe it effects the turn radius
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #9January 03, 2015, 01:53:04 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 01:53:04 pm »

Can you elaborate?

do you know what toe in was before he replaced the tie rods?  i believe it effects the turn radius

I do not know what toe in was before tie rod assembly replacement. The tires were not worn unevenly so I can assume toe in was within spec. I do know that I had no problems (tie rod assembly replacement) making U turns or pulling into or backing into a parking space without the need for a double take.