Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Jetta - another no start  (Read 3566 times)

December 08, 2014, 02:27:00 pm

germanpettingzoo

Jetta - another no start
« on: December 08, 2014, 02:27:00 pm »
Hey all, I'll do a proper intro thing later. For now I have issues, and I've popped over here from vortex because there's an awful lot of aggression and arguing that goes on over there. So basic bits you need to know, I picked up this 97 AAZ Jetta a couple weeks ago. Everything was mostly fine, aside from my clicky axle that I'll be replacing some time in the next few days, and my moderate oil leaking issue which I will hopefully be able to solve at the same time. But otherwise, the engine itself has been fine.

So, as a birthday gift to me, I get outside, walk like a quarter mile to get to the car in the wind and cold, and go to start it up. It's cold so I run the glow plugs a few times. In the past it's been a bit of a joy to start because it takes about 5-10 minutes to get it fired up when it's below freezing. But that's fine, it makes me laugh and feel like a bit of a badass getting it to start lol. Anyway, moving on. I crank her, nothing. Few more cycles of the glow plugs, crank crank crank......aaaand this happens:

EDIT: Tried embedding YT video but apparently it doesn't accept [video][/video] as tags, and apparently you also aren't allowed to post "external links" despite there being a button to do just that. So. Paste this into YouTube if you want: watch?v=crBZ23Q9XY0

It will sound (and feel) like it's starting up, and then it just stops - worth noting that this is while I'm getting a boost (since I murdered my battery) so it's definitely getting electricity. It sounds like the fuel pump is still running after the cranking stops though, so I'm wondering if my starter motor has had it, or if something far more catastrophic is going on? I didn't have a lot of time to play around this morning (apparently I'm still expected to go to work, crazy right?) but when I get home there may be enough sunlight for me to try a couple things. I'm still quite new to this car and to diesels in general so it's kind of strange territory. I was going to try giving it a bump earlier but I'm parked on a hill and I can't push it by myself, nor could I roll it backward because someone was parked behind me. Also yes, my oil light blinks suspiciously, but there IS oil in there.

Does anybody have any thoughts on what the problem might be? Any direction is good!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 02:33:02 pm by germanpettingzoo »

Reply #1December 08, 2014, 09:51:55 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
Re: Jetta - another no start
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 09:51:55 pm »
I don't hear anything catastrophic. Seems the engine hits on one, then the starter bendix kicks out.

I've heard wd40 in the intake is helpful; don't use ether/starting-fluid, it will kill your glowplugs and maybe the precups too. You can also try warming the intake air with a hair-dryer.

Once you get it into a garage, troubleshooting will be easier.

Happy Birthday...

Reply #2December 10, 2014, 06:21:10 pm

germanpettingzoo

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 06:21:10 pm »
Temperature went up to -2 (because Canada) and she starts just fine.

A bit concerning for when the whether gets colder but for now it'll do. I'm working on getting covered parking where I'll be able to plug in the block heater, see if that makes a difference.

Reply #3December 16, 2014, 10:27:33 am

thegimpster

• Administrator
  • Junior

• VDubShirts.com Awesome VW themed shirts with attitude
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 10:27:33 am »
new users have to have 2 posts to be able to post links, cuts the spammers down. you should be good now to post them.
Check out www.vdubshirts.com for cool VW themed shirts with attitude.

Fixmyvw.com