S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: AAZ "Illegal Immigrant"  (Read 6847 times)

December 08, 2014, 01:15:59 pm

Joshua!

AAZ "Illegal Immigrant"
« on: December 08, 2014, 01:15:59 pm »
I drove up to Canada last June to part out a MK3 with a running AAZ, thinking I'd drop and swap. That is reason #1 never to buy an engine in the dark. By the time I got home and examined the thing, it was evident that I would need a full rebuild , including pump and turbo. DOH. Way more $$ than I wanted to spend, but it was too late.

New set of prothe pistons:

I think I bought the last of this style oil return available in the world. Took me 3 months to track it down. Stupid 1 year production K-14.

My happy little motor mount mod. Not quite enough however.

Field mod to motor mount so belt would clear:

Done FINALLY! Don't mind the ugly pump and alternator. Those are the first things to go.

IN!!

Those are the last pics I had before my camera broke. It's up and running now with most of the bugs worked out. Future upgrades include returning to the factory serpentine belt setup, once I replace the balancer and purchase new timing belt covers.

The downside of building an AAZ would have to be Parts availability. Hard to track things down, and I can't just drop into the local parts house to order stuff.

The upside? DRIVING IT!

Reply #1December 08, 2014, 04:30:49 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Re: AAZ "Illegal Immigrant"
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 04:30:49 pm »
what parts did you have trouble with?  i was able to get everything at napa since most of it is the same as tdi or 1.6td, i was even able to order the valve cover gasket at napa.  their altrom line is excellent german brands and lots of oem vw parts.

the only thing i'm concerned about now is the injectors, i want to get them rebuilt eventually.  you have a giles pump as well right?  how do you like it?
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #2December 08, 2014, 08:00:11 pm

Joshua!

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 08:00:11 pm »
I am very happy with the pump. First order of business it to get a bigger exhaust. I'm sure this thing has some room to grow power-wise, not that I need it. Plenty good for the daily commute.

The first trouble I had with parts was finding part numbers. It's great once you know what parts fit what other platforms, but since this was my first AAZ, I had to suss it all out myself. Second, the parts houses that I use did not list any AAZ parts at all. The lower gasket set had to come from quality German auto. Finding that damned oil return line made me about ready to sell the damned thing.

Other stuff that bothers me- I don't like the 17mm long oil pan (and other) bolts. 15mm is a readily available size from most places, but 17 seems to be VW only.
Too many cooling hoses with weird joints. I don't trust the cooling system. I think there are like 25 hose clamps on the cooling system. That's 25 possible fail points. The Canadian oil cooler that came on the engine didn't fit any o-ring that I could find. I finally chucked it and put one on from a gasser. Tracking down all of the copper sealing washers was a pain. I finally ordered an assorted metric kit from work and that took care of that. So on and so forth.

Let's face it- It's an engine platform that was never available in the states. That is going to lead to parts sourcing difficulty. LOTS of hours of research went into finding parts for this build. Great engine, but I'm not looking forward 5 years when things need to be replaced.

Reply #3December 08, 2014, 09:36:19 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 09:36:19 pm »
Partsbase.org has all the numbers you need.

The cooling hoses are fine as long as you use the right coolant and don't spill diesel on them.

Almost every bolt you might need is available through the dealer. Just print out the partsbase page - it's the same drawings as their system. All the numbers and everything are there.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 12:18:55 am by vanbcguy »
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #4December 08, 2014, 10:27:52 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 10:27:52 pm »
i'm actually surprised that you were able to find that drain line pretty impressive really, the cooling system really only has 2 more connections than a 1.6na, and its just for the oil cooler, and the same amount of connections as any other vw engine really.  I didn't really have any trouble with parts but napa actually lists aaz as an option.  I had the same issue with the oil cooler, the pipes are positioned differently on these oil coolers, and my hoses didn't quite fit right.  I swapped to an oil cooler on to it from a 16v block i had laying around, then the hoses fit perfectly and i was able to put the new seal in.
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #5December 12, 2014, 04:42:05 pm

vwroadkill

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 04:42:05 pm »
That is clean. Please show picture of filter off of turbo. I need ideas.
  Looks like a clean setup. 
new owner of an 81 caddy diesel yipeeeee..vw gti vr6 and well most of gm's trucks

Reply #6January 12, 2015, 08:21:46 am

Dubdoc

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 08:21:46 am »
Glad you chose the AAZ. Us Canadians have been using and modifying them for years now, and we loves the torque. The hoses are no different than the 1.6 TD, but you might want to do What I'm presently doing. Replace the sometimes-troublesome oil/water cooler with an oil/air cooler Get a thermostatic sandwich plate and run lines to a cooler in front of the rad. As for the oil drain, you could always buy these parts and have a hydraulic shop do a small hose.

Reply #7January 12, 2015, 08:25:14 am

Dubdoc

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 08:25:14 am »
Get a downpipe like this, and  run 2.25" pipe to a nice free-flowing muffler. Diesels respond wonderfully to open breathing.

Reply #8January 12, 2015, 02:56:11 pm

Joshua!

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 02:56:11 pm »
Sweet downpipe! I covet one of those, but a bit our of my range for right this second. I know it needs to breathe better.....

My turbo does not have the flanged return line. It's just a nipple out to the line. I researched hydro hose, but I love the clean look of the factory line. A couple are left in stock with VW heritage at a reasonable price, but they are being discontinued and need much research to match with VW. I think I have the part number around somewhere though if anyone is looking.

Reply #9January 26, 2017, 06:16:49 pm

butch2000

• User+

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 06:16:49 pm »
dubdoc , who makes that down pipe ?

Reply #10January 29, 2017, 12:54:22 pm

butch2000

• User+

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 12:54:22 pm »
ok so everything here is at a snails pace ?

Reply #11January 30, 2017, 11:54:59 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 11:54:59 am »
ok so everything here is at a snails pace ?

yes, this was always a slow forum, but now with facebook its even slower.

Fixmyvw.com