Author Topic: 81 Caddy, what to do first?  (Read 3489 times)

November 30, 2016, 02:41:07 pm

Heron

• Junior

81 Caddy, what to do first?
« on: November 30, 2016, 02:41:07 pm »
New member here. Have had many VW's back to a Ghia in the late 70's, I drove a caddy while in college, my dad had a new one in 81 and I currently drive a 09 GTI.
I just trailered back a caddy I bought at a dealership in Atlanta in 93 when I was picking up a part for my caddy. It had work done to it but the owner didn't pay the bill. I paid it and took the truck. I drove it from Atlanta to Hartford CT in a snowstorm at Christmas that year. It had a new top end, ip, transmission. Drove great no issues. The truck was supposed to be used by my dad. It never was, he started and drove it around the yard some but it never hit the road. Well, two weeks ago I drove up and trailered it back to TN where I live.
What I'm needing is advice. Right of the top I pulled the tank and flushed it out, am changing lines as it would run but it was sucking air like crazy. The timing belt still looks like brand new but the water pump seems to be leaking. So, before I get any further I'm thinking I need a new belt, water pump and Tstat, all hoses, tranny fluid, oil, coolant, brake flush. Tires were brand new but are all dry rotted.
For the timing belt, I've got a Bentley on the way but I need sources. Where do I buy the tensioner, and locks? How about interior parts, any sources as the drivers seat is trashed and the carpets and headliner need replacement. I will also need to go thru brakes, they seem fine but sitting for these years they need to be done.
No rust on the strut towers, just surface rust on some of the fr end parts but nothing on the body except surface rust.
The Odometer shows 138K and has worked according to the documents I have from the dealer back in 93.
If anyone can save me some time and frustration, possibly been down this road with this vehicle I'd appreciate it.  ;)

Reply #1December 05, 2016, 07:48:36 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Re: 81 Caddy, what to do first?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 07:48:36 am »
do a burn out
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #2December 05, 2016, 07:51:23 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 07:51:23 am »
timing belt parts are available most anywhere like napa, theres a few places you can buy the lock tools, like parts place inc has a nice but over priced set.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #3December 09, 2016, 01:12:16 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 01:12:16 pm »
The eBay timing tool sets are good enough considering this is a job you'll only be doing a few times.

For the belt and tensioner most auto parts places will have what you need. Gates or Continental belts are good. I like finding a brand name set that includes the tensioner.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #4December 11, 2016, 12:35:58 am

Heron

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 12:35:58 am »
timing belt parts are available most anywhere like napa, theres a few places you can buy the lock tools, like parts place inc has a nice but over priced set.

Wondered about the set on partsplace. I'm  not certain these days as far as sticking to more OEM parts or if the run of the mill things from places like rockauto. Last time I bought parts anything other than German parts for these things were junk.
I'll check ebay for timing belt tools.

Reply #5December 11, 2016, 12:41:47 am

Heron

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 12:41:47 am »
do a burn out

Really...? I'd love to see this truck do it..but I better start with some basics before I start doing burnouts.

Reply #6December 13, 2016, 05:43:02 pm

air-cooled or diesel

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 05:43:02 pm »
^yea, i think he was kidding.

I'm  not certain these days as far as sticking to more OEM parts or if the run of the mill things from places like rockauto. Last time I bought parts anything other than German parts for these things were junk.
yea dont go to rockauto, a lot of things from them are questionable, and even the suspension parts i used to like, not cause it was my choice to go there, but even those parts were,well kind of cheesy. partsplace is usually good, autohausaz is another preference.  napa doesnt do bad for many things, i get good results from them. air filters, belts, possibly fuel filters(check brand, may be good), if you use basic oil filters, napa is good quality, wix filters, gates belts. have napa axles in both my mk2's, still in there going, well parked now, and still in there, just ordered a set for my mk3, will go in tomorrow, im planning.

Reply #7December 14, 2016, 10:23:51 am

Heron

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 10:23:51 am »
Thanks much for the tips. I ordered some things from Rockauto but all were name brands. I got the majority of things from Germanautoparts.com. My plan is when I have a couple of days in a row to get it in the garage and go thru it. Got to figure out the best way to flush the coolant..been in there since 93 at least. I'm going to replace all cooling lines, tstat, water pump and housing, timing belt and tensioner, oil pan gasket, starter, clean up grounds, change tranny oil, pressure bleed brakes, change out wheel cylinders, replace fr pads and rear drums and seals, E brake cables and rear shocks. Hopefully that will get it running well and safely.
From there it needs a rug, headliner and the driver seat redone(not sure what to do about that..?) I'd like to do the headliner myself but not sure about removing all the glass...worried about screwing something up there.

Fixmyvw.com