Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: MK1 AAZ cruise control?  (Read 4489 times)

December 03, 2014, 11:29:08 am

Joshua!

MK1 AAZ cruise control?
« on: December 03, 2014, 11:29:08 am »
Hi all! Just finished converting my '81 rabbit to AAZ and I'll post a thread in users rides once I have a few posts under my belt. In the meantime, with all this spare power, I would like to know about cruise control options. My gut tells me that an early cabby setup would do the trick, but thought I should check in here first.

Thanks in advance!
Joshua!

Reply #1December 03, 2014, 02:57:40 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: MK1 AAZ cruise control?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 02:57:40 pm »
I happened to find the VW dealer add on kit on Craigslist about two yrs ago.  Complete kit less the cable that went from the servo motor to the throttle lever.  I found that an emergency brake cable that fit inside a piece of PVC pipe I had from a sink install worked great for the inner and outer cable.  I fabricated up ends that attached well and have been driving it since.  Look around you might just find one. 

Reply #2December 04, 2014, 04:47:39 pm

Reply #3December 05, 2014, 12:36:18 pm

Joshua!

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 12:36:18 pm »
Thanks Dog! Looks like there is plenty of info there for me to comb through. I like that Rostra kit with the dash mount switch...

I wonder if a t/s cruise stalk could be retrofitted from a later model ?

Joshua!

Reply #4December 05, 2014, 07:13:30 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 07:13:30 pm »
I put a Rostra kit on my Ford Ranger and I like the dash mount control box better than I do my Cruise Stalk on the VW.  Being one of long leg the less clutter around the steering wheel the better.   Dash Mount has lights for night use too. Very handy install for me as I can have my hand rest on the stick and just reach up and feel for the right buttons, they have tabs or raised nubs so you don't even have to look away to do the coast or accel ones.

Reply #5December 08, 2014, 11:32:18 am

Joshua!

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 11:32:18 am »
I'm likely going to purchase and install the rostra setup after the new year.

Currently sourcing parts to convert to power windows and doing a H4 headlight upgrade.

Why I thought I'd be done spending money after the engine was complete, I'll never understand. :)

When I get to the cruise install, I'll do a build/install thread to cover it.

Reply #6December 09, 2014, 12:58:51 am

flying_oliver

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 12:58:51 am »
You can go with any cabby set up. However, on the back of the tach they have a inductive pickup for the signal. I'm not sure if this would fit into the rabbit cluster..I feel like it should but I don't know.

The cabby set up is rather simple and stand alone. Removing it requires pulling the dash and I failed to grab the vacuum switches from the pedal cluster but it shouldn't be too hard with some actual tools.

Edit: just realized that the bottom part of the pic goes to the diesel version..never knew this existed.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 01:01:22 am by flying_oliver »

S-PAutomotive.com